• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Feedback on Power Issues

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Eeee gads, didn't even think of that. Thank you. Okay, I'm in luck....I have a brick. Thank you, Lisa for mah brick @NWIP!
You are well prepared! I knew you would be. There must be a story behind that brick, but I don't need to know. :ROFLMAO:

Looks like I'm getting almost as good as @Neal at spending other people's money. Hope the Autoformer solves your problem...or, I'll be in BIG trouble. :rolleyes:

TJ

According to an article I read the other day, the RV Electrical Guru, Mike Sokol said according to the NAC, Hughes Auto-transformers are illegal to use, because they can disrupt the power in the park and cause problems on other units. I would be cautious hooking one up. I believe my inverter kicks in if the voltage get low and we are using a bunch, it did in TX when we were camping, but then only on 30A incoming power. The genset never came on once, and I have it set to come on if batteries go down to 11.8VDC,. But new park, expensive wire/labor, yep, power is the first place to cut costs, it's always about the money. If you proceed as I think you have, make sure you figure out a way to lock it down, so it does not walk off. Oh, Mike is working with Hughes to determine if what they say, and what the NAC says are factual. You can read all about mike electrical stuff on his Facebook page. I don't do Facebook, as I don't care for google anything.

According to an article I read the other day, the RV Electrical Guru, Mike Sokol said according to the NAC, Hughes Auto-transformers are illegal to use, because they can disrupt the power in the park and cause problems on other units. I would be cautious hooking one up. I believe my inverter kicks in if the voltage get low and we are using a bunch, it did in TX when we were camping, but then only on 30A incoming power. The genset never came on once, and I have it set to come on if batteries go down to 11.8VDC,. But new park, expensive wire/labor, yep, power is the first place to cut costs, it's always about the money. If you proceed as I think you have, make sure you figure out a way to lock it down, so it does not walk off. Oh, Mike is working with Hughes to determine if what they say, and what the NAC says are factual. You can read all about mike electrical stuff on his Facebook page. I don't do Facebook, as I don't care for google anything.
Sorry, but that old argument about Autoformers stealing power is bogus. The 50A breaker at the pedestal governs how much power you can take from the park supply. The breaker prevents you from using more than the 50A allocated to the site (assuming it is a 50A site, of course).

The Autoformer never uses more than the 50A, it just raises the line voltage on the coach side while lowering the amperage draw. When the voltage is low, it causes ACs and high-amperage appliances to actually draw more current. If anything, that steals power from the person paying to use the campsite.

Ohm's law defines the relationship between volts and amperes, and you just can't get around the basic laws of physics.

TJ

@ARD neal has his set up in the cord bay but it appears to be more than a trivial installation. From what I have read and what everybody says above is sage advice. I am in the process of ordering one myself. Good luck!

@ARD neal has his set up in the cord bay but it appears to be more than a trivial installation. From what I have read and what everybody says above is sage advice. I am in the process of ordering one myself. Good luck!
Thank you! I don't think I will install for now, as i plan to order a new coach in the near future. I'll let you know how it goes. ?

As mentioned above, you'll place this near the power pedestal and plug it into the pedestal. Your coach will plug into it. You won't need your surge protector at the pedestal but it can't hurt either. It is a little heavy so be ready for that, nothing more than your OTG water softener deal. You just need to protect it from water such as happened to me. I had it at the pedestal and didn't know it was going to rain that night, it was 1/3 submerged in water the next morning from heavy rain and also a recessed area at the pedal perfect to make a pool. It was fried! If you're close enough to the pedestal it can go under your FWS for rain protection. If not then I used a clip on umbrella, I wasn't a fan of a bag or trash can as it will need to vent.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HA2ZKCO/?tag=rvf01-20

It's not really the rain so much as the puddling beneath I think. Regardless just be aware.

As to your situation, it sounds like an out. If they can't provide adequate power leave and get refunded assuming you have somewhere else to go. The Hughes Autoformer is good to have, I use it 100% of the time as it's internally mounted. Buying a new coach or not it's not hard for someone to do for you and then you can forget about it. As I've said, when you know you need it it's too late so it's always inline for me. I'm glad your AGS settings are doing what they need and don't worry about running the gen, it can sure use some exercising I'm sure. I just ran mine constantly for the past 3 days while at the airport.

I would buy the internal mount kit and just store it for when the opportunity arises for you to con ask someone to install it for you. :unsure:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DYD8H14/?tag=rvf01-20

clip-on-umb.png

I would buy the internal mount kit and just store it for when the opportunity arises for you to con ask someone to install it for you. :unsure:
It can go on the "Neal List." ? My concern at this park is that the sprinklers go off at 2 am and they spray the entire driver side of my coach up to above my windows. I can't even see out of my windows because of the hard water drops. Urgh. Good thing my delivery of "Hot Sauce" just arrived. I'll get to test it out to see if it works. So since the water will hit it from the side, I'll try the trash can method with my trusty brick.

Thanks for your help everyone. Will keep ya'll updated.

It can go on the "Neal List." ?

Okay, I'll do it BUT I require a pizza with pineapple on it! And ice cream for desert!

I am a huge fan of the Autoformer. Originally I chainlocked it to the power pole. There is a wiring kit sold by Hughes which allows you to keep everything in the electrical Bay. When I bought the Newmar, I had them rewrite this at the factory. A good mobile tech can do this, if you are not comfortable doing it. It involves disconnecting the current power cord from the transfer switch and wiring it to the box in the kit, then replacing the original cord with a much shorter one.

One must take a picture of the wiring before starting, so as to put the new cable in correctly. The trickiest part is that the wires must be torqued to specification. W should all learn to check these and retorque them yearly, or have it done at the yearly service.

The Autoformer must be plugged directly into the power pole. The surge protectoor or ems gets plugged into the Autoformer.

To get up and running quickly plug in externally as mentioned above. However, I would get a good bicycle (steel) chainlock (i.e. Python or better) and chain bother the Autoformer and ems to the power pole.

One more suggestion. I perch everything on a few, when plugging into the pole so the equipment does not sit in standing water. I also drape a cut open large garbage bag over the setup (secured with gorilla tape to minimize rain exposure.

Latest resources

Back