RV Model
Red 33 AA
RV Length
35 ft
TOW/TOAD
2017 Jeep Sahara
Fulltimer
No
Hi Guys: Well I knew I was going to get my first oil change for Ruby this year, so I scheduled it with Freightliner. They are only 8 miles away from my home and I felt better to let them do it than my dealer at over 2.5 hrs away. I am in the PA Northeast about 12 miles south of Scranton.

The coach has 9500 miles on the engine and 107 hrs on the generator. I figure I would do both with a complete fuel filter change, and air cleaners. I had them also do a grease job on the coach. I think labor is about $150.00 an hr. My bill was $595.00 for labor and $567.62 for parts, Total with $69.76 for tax $1232.38

This is about what I expected. If it was just the DP engine, 6.7 Cummins, 360 HP, it would have been $788.71.... The generator was an additional $373.91. They had to cut clamps off the fuel filter and replace with new clamps. Plus oil, filters and element.

Just curious, how does this compare for what you guys are paying for oil changes and lube. This don't include the do it your self brethren. That ship has sailed a long time ago for me...LOL

HH

I go to Gaffney, SC to FCCC and that is about what I pay for the complete annual service with oil change.

I go to Gaffney, SC to FCCC and that is about what I pay for the complete annual service with oil change.
Thanks Neal that is what I though.
HH

I’m about 50% do-it-yourselfer these days, depending on how I feel at the time. I had the coach at Freightliner in Sacramento for a couple things I didn’t want to do and got lazy and told them to go head and change the fuel filters while they were at it. That alone was around $250 and given how long it takes me and what the filters cost me, that seemed high, but I didn’t ask them the price in advance. I had the same experience when I had my chassis batteries changed - surprised by the price (good deal on the batteries but the labor was high) but I could have asked first. So now I ask prices on each item and decide from there.

But for the most part, the stuff I have them do is reasonably priced and in line with what you paid. Also their parts prices are often the best and you get the right part the first time. As an example they charge around $120 for an air filter and at Napa it‘s almost $300. So all in all, Freightliner shops are a great resource.

You got a lot of maintenance for $1232. If you want to save some $$ next time, you can probably get two to three times the life out of your air filter - just watch the restriction gauge. Also the oil change price you noted is one of the resons I’m about 50% DIY - it costs me less than $150 (currently $122) and takes about a half hour. And my son takes my waste oil and burns it in his older diesel.

Hi Rich: Yeah I agree on the air filter, but I was out west last year for 6 weeks and in very dusty conditions. So I just went ahead and had them change it.

HH

Hey DP: Wow that LS truck Wash is one very cool place. Man I wish I had one like that in the North East.

HH
I’ll be visiting the Thousand Palms location at least annually. Its right on the way to one of my hangouts. From now on I’ll arrive clean!

This is one of the things that actually makes me want a diesel pusher, I'm 100% DIY and this is another expense I would be into for parts only. When I worked on class 8 trucks we were still able to get a 55 gallon drum of Rotella 15W-40 for under $400 and filters for under $15. That ship has sailed but I'm still quite sure I could get it knocked out for ~$120. That generator service seems way high to me.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back