• Commercial/Vendors welcome

First motorhome advice needed

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I have an '07 Fleetwood Bounder. I tell people it's an 07 and they think it's new.
I know it's considered an "entry-level" DP coach, but I think it's built really well.
When we were looking at DPs we were at PPL in Houston, it was pouring down rain. We went inside a bunch of DPs, this Bounder was the ONLY one that was wasn't leaking water around something, be it the windshield, a/c, or anything else. EVERY one of the others, ie New Mars, Winnies, you name it was leaking somewhere. I'm VERY satisfied with the Fleetwood. The woodwork in it is unbelievable, it's beautiful........and real.
I've done all the maintenance on it myself. Working under the bed, in the closet, inside the cabinets and such, the quality of workmanship is really good. As well as the quality of the materials used by the factory/builder.
Our 2006 Holiday Rambler Ambassador is a well built coach as well. The wood is beautiful, the cabinets don't squeak or rattle, nothing leaks. We've not had anything major happen except one of the A/C units went out. I decided to replace both units and upgrade to 15k btu units with the digital thermostat. Of course the off white carpet started looking rough but that's not a brand specific issue. I'm very happy with our coach. Holiday Rambler and Fleetwood are now built by REV so I have no idea what the quality is like but I've looked in some new units and really like them a lot.

We went with an Itaska Sunstar 2012 30’ (Winnebago) and have had very few problems for our first motor home. It fits our needs perfectly and has been a very reliable unit. I think that floor plan should be the first priority and after that decide how much you are going to use the coach. If you aren’t traveling 20-30k miles a year, diesel becomes less of a concern other than torque on the hills.

I have owned two Class A's which were purchased new at dealerships. Brand reputation, manufacturer warranty, recall and maintenance history, and dealership reputation all played a part in my decision as did whether to buy new or used, gas or diesel, length of chassis, etc. I required a toy hauler, so at the time the field of manufacturers to choose from was Newmar or Thor. In addition to the fine recommendations given in the previous replies I wanted to share some other things that I have learned along the way. 1) It benefited me to purchase from a dealer close to home or where I stored the vehicle if it needed to go in for service. If you buy it there you stand a chance of getting better service. Also, you can keep the miles down going back and forth. 2) Avoid sacrificing on floorplan if you can help it. One of the leading reasons why folks grow unhappy with their RV soon after a purchase is, they get out in it only to find that they are lacking something that they really would like or could use, and they do not have it. 3) Whether buying used or new in my opinion it is sensible to spend the extra money on additional service contracts over and above the manufacturer warranty and the same goes for road hazard coverages. 4) Drivability is key. If it does not feel right when you are driving it, you may end up spending a lot of money to meet your expectations after the sale. Make sure to conduct a thorough test drive on both interstate and secondary roads. Even some parking maneuvers in an open lot. And do not forget to check noise levels while driving.

My latest new Thor Class A acquisition does not necessarily have the greatest brand reputation. By the same token I read stories from owners of alternate brands with some 4 or 5 times the cost of mine that were absolute lemons. I knew what I wanted and what I was getting into so I prepared myself accordingly by making sure to do a very, very through PDI and to budget for any upgrades that I felt necessary to accomplish after I took her home. After 3 months in service at different intervals to get the bugs out under warranty and after $6,000 in chassis and engine upgrades of my choice I have what I would consider a reliable coach that serves my purposes well. It was still less expensive in the long run and in my opinion more unique than the competitors offering. Good luck in your search and have fun shopping for your next RV!
I'm looking to get my first Motorhome and want to bring my Can Am Ryker with me so I naturally looked at the Outlaw and the Newmar Canyon Star 3927. (I really don't want to tow a trailer) I'm assuming you looked at the Newmar too. Just curious on why you chose the Outlaw over the Newmar? I'm also considering a motorhome without a garage and just getting a lift mounted to the back as I'm not sure I will be happy with so much less space inside due to the garage taking 10 feet of the coach. But having the security of the bike being in a the garage, keeping out of the weather, and being able to work on it regardless of weather is such a draw to me. (plus the fueling station). How has your experience been with service from Thor? Thanks.

Brand is important. Our first MC was a 2005 Winnebago Adventurer 33V. Had for 5 years & great memories, Did we have problems - of course, but our dealer and Winnebago was quick to correct. Fast forward 15 years and we just got back into the RV world with a 2021 Newmar Ventana 4037. So far (knock on wood) only small issues. Again dealer and mfg. are giving great support. Interesting sort of full circle as Winnebago now owns Newmar.

Good luck!
I was looking at the same Newmar. What issues did you have? Where did you buy? Any insights on this mode? Would like to know good and bad no matter how small. Thanks!

I'm looking to get my first Motorhome and want to bring my Can Am Ryker with me so I naturally looked at the Outlaw and the Newmar Canyon Star 3927. (I really don't want to tow a trailer) I'm assuming you looked at the Newmar too. Just curious on why you chose the Outlaw over the Newmar? I'm also considering a motorhome without a garage and just getting a lift mounted to the back as I'm not sure I will be happy with so much less space inside due to the garage taking 10 feet of the coach. But having the security of the bike being in a the garage, keeping out of the weather, and being able to work on it regardless of weather is such a draw to me. (plus the fueling station). How has your experience been with service from Thor? Thanks.
Good luck in your search for your first MH. Like you the appeal of being able to take my toys along inside was strong. I looked at a Newmar but didn’t like the interior finish style and also did not care for the hump on the ramp door. It was also more expensive and above my price limit. You brought up a good point about sacrificing some living space and I guess that depends on ones needs. When the garage is empty we do take advantage of the extra bedding, seating, TV and of course storage space so for us it’s very useful space. I especially like being able to detail my bike in the AC listening to music and enjoying a beverage or two when traveling. So far Thor has been very responsive to any warranty issues. They sent a Tech to my house twice so I could avoid a dealer visit which was really great of them to do. At the dealer Thor always approved my warranty requests and they have been good with advice on the phone too.

Good luck in your search for your first MH. Like you the appeal of being able to take my toys along inside was strong. I looked at a Newmar but didn’t like the interior finish style and also did not care for the hump on the ramp door. It was also more expensive and above my price limit. You brought up a good point about sacrificing some living space and I guess that depends on ones needs. When the garage is empty we do take advantage of the extra bedding, seating, TV and of course storage space so for us it’s very useful space. I especially like being able to detail my bike in the AC listening to music and enjoying a beverage or two when traveling. So far Thor has been very responsive to any warranty issues. They sent a Tech to my house twice so I could avoid a dealer visit which was really great of them to do. At the dealer Thor always approved my warranty requests and they have been good with advice on the phone too.
Thanks for the input! I think I may need the hump in the door due to my bikes low clearance (4.1") as the hump was designed to help with that transition. Although I haven't had the chance to test it yet. How does the Outlaw fair with hills? Did you upgrade the brakes in any way? I've been driving motorhomes my whole life and have found that some gas coaches can slow down to 40-45mph on inclines when highway driving. And the braking on some were really bad, but they were rentals so no telling on how much abuse they took. The price difference is def a factor as the Newmar is almost 2x as much. Even if I go with a lift, I will need a diesel to handle the weight. Have you found any major pros/cons to the Outlaw after having it for a while? Thanks for all the input. Much appreciated.

Well I will add my two cents.

A year ago I went from a FR Forester to a Newmar BayStar. When I began to look, I quickly narrow the field to Newmar, Tiffin, and Winnebago next. The build quality of the Bay Star is far superior to the Forest River (no split wood in cabinets, etc.).

Both had their share of initial challenges. In my case, both companies came through with flying colors with regard to getting the issues corrected without hassle. one’s experience, in this regard, depend on who you contact, how you approach the issue and sound documentation.

I am not a believer in extended warranties. I spent $7500 on the Forester and never used it, to my knowledge. It depends on where you are in life and your comfort level. You can pay to fix a few things with $7500. Invested properly over the life of the unit - need I say more.

I like the fact that Newmar has a service center, that does excellent work. Tiffin has a few.

Yes one can often get a better deal at the super dealers in Fla and TX. Keep in mind that many dealers will not service units not purchased from them, or they put you on the bottom of the list. So, you need to consider where you can get to, for service. I got a much better deal from a dealer in Fla, driving, back and forth was not reasonable. This is important because they will need service - almost guaranteed. That being said, it is better to have to travel 4-6 hours for good service, at a reputable dealer, than to have your unit sit for months at one close, by and still not get the work done correctly.

Be prepared to beef up the suspension on a class A gasser. The first thing I did when I drove away was to add thousands of dollars of components to the suspension. A large bread box does not drive like a car. Diesels are much better in this regard, but more expensive to buy and maintain.

You have a lot of research to do, and a lot of info to distill. Take your time. It could take a year to get the right unit. Focus build quality, floor plan, where can you get good service. Good luck. Enjoy the hunt.

Speaking strictly for my 2019 Outlaw with a V10 I was annoyed like other V10 owners with hills due to the tendency for the trans to downshift abruptly and causing the engine to scream. After doing some research I opted to install the 5 Star Tune and it made a big difference. If you are not familiar you should go to their website and also catch the YouTube video on an F-53 V10 that was upgraded with their tune. I am not going to be able to provide hard numbers on my areas of improvement because I haven't gotten that technical with it but I can tell you my driving experience has been vastly improved. Especially with being able to maintain my highway speed on hills. Feel free to call those guys at 5 Star they are really helpful with explaining the upgrade and what to expect. As far as brakes I haven't done anything however I just recently got set up to flat tow my 2019 Ford Ranger and at the end of this summer I plan to take my Outlaw into a local Ford dealer to get an oil change and lube so I will have them check the brakes at that time. I haven't had any braking issues prior to or after towing .
In consideration of a major pro from my perspective it would center around having the onboard garage to stow my motorized toys and extra gear along with the ability to flat tow my vehicle at the same time. On the con side of things I have spent a lot of time and money to improve the driving experience. My biggest challenges have been to try and quiet it down in the cab area and to soften the ride while improving the handling. I have it where I want it I think for now but it was frustrating at times while trying to dial it in. No doubt there is more I could do to squeeze some more power out of the V10 but I don't need it really. Perhaps if I did a lot of mountain climbing with it I might consider more engine mods but for the type of traveling that I do things are just fine as they are.
If you haven't already done so you should download the IRV2 app where you will find a section on Class A toy haulers . Lot's of good owner feedback there about Thor and Newmar. All the best to you!

I have been studying specs, ads, forums, and checking out models in person, and noticed a few things.
1. Study the original brochures or specs at rvusa.com CAREFULLY (some brands have online archives of brochures) so you can spot remodeling, which, from the ones i’ve seen, is always done badly, and devalues them.
2. The same model number of a coach can differ in length by more than a foot , I kid you not, from one year to another. Check the specs.
3. I started noticing a trend in the leather in models 2013 and later - peeling leather, if the mileage is over 40K.
Newmar, Tiffin, Winnebago - all of them. VERY disappointing to see. Our old 2006 diesel Winnebago’s leather was still good at 11 years, 63,000 miles when we sold it.
4. After 3+ years research, I narrowed my choice to one, but I’m keeping an open mind. It SEEMS that they stopped making the particular combination of our requirements after 2013 in all brands, so I’m looking at 2013 for that reason. I’m seeing several RVs popping up for sale now, but I’m waiting for one a wee bit closer than 20+ hours away.
Cheaper in Tx? Hmmmmm, depends. I DO notice they’re usuallymore expensive in CA, WA, OR, ID, and northeast. I’ve seen ridiculous prices in Texas, too.

All good advice coming at you. There are only a few chassis manufactures out there, so many of the features of the running gear will be the same, just compare apples to apples. Ford built their chassis in three load classes, so don't compare a 24k with a 26k as things are slightly different. The house sides share many of the same component manufactures, but those component have intro level all the way to luxury level. So check the components for the rigs you like. Lower level isn't always bad, and complexity can lead to issues. Reliability is what you are looking for, as well as customer service.

If the coach is being used at all, by the two year mark the owner should have the initial build issues dealt with. The wear and tear issues are a constant price to pay for admission.

Every brand has die hard loyal customers, and equally die hard hate the brand former customers. Every camper will have an opinion, just ask them.

We had a 2019 Newmar Canyon Star, 3719. 38' single bath. We had it built to our specs and did factory pick up. Coach was very reliable! Zero impacts to our camping for the two years of ownership. It was our first coach, and what we didn't know we didn't know finally got us. Once set up, the coach was a dream to camp. Travel days, not so much. We did many of the chassis improvements you can read about, and made improvements. It just never got to be enjoyable or stress less. If we tried anything more than 300 miles, I was pretty wiped pulling into CG. We are east coasters, so we didn't have issues with the mountains. It was loud heading up for sure.

After two years, we had added two dogs to the crew list, pined for more storage space and the second bath, and wanted a bit better ride. We went DP on this coach.

You have experience with floor plans, figure out what are needs, what are wants, and what are take it or leave it things. Start looking. When you find one you like, check the manufacture customer service yourself.

Good luck, see ya in the CG.

Latest resources

Back