Forest River
RV Model
Wildcat Fifth-wheel
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2019 Ford F-250.
Fulltimer
Yes
This year we won’t be able to head south until February. Will be in north Texas until then. If the temperatures will be below freezing and I need to be away from my 5th wheel for several hours or even one night would the “fireplace“ heater be enough to keep water from freezing? I have a furnace but am a little leary of propane if I’m not there. I do have a heated hose outside.

I advise people to at least run the furnace set low. In large modern rigs the air ducts blow into the areas that can freeze, not just into the living space. This will not happen with the fireplace. IT depends as they say. How long will it be below freezing and how your particular rig is made.
I am not sure what the trepidation is with propane. I see it all the time. Yes I have seen and read about propane fires and explosions. But they are caused by negligence, changes made by uniformed people, or catastrophic failure's. I went into a camper last winter that was full of propane. It had a burner on the stove left on low, unlit, all night long. Lucky it did not blow the young couple to the moon and me when I walked in.

If something is going to catch fire I sure rather it happen with me not in it :)

Unless something is exposed to the elements, i.e. a water line connection to the spigot, I don't think things are going to freeze overnight unless it's really really really cold, I'd say below 20F. It's your call and just depends how long you're going to be away.

This year we won’t be able to head south until February. Will be in north Texas until then. If the temperatures will be below freezing and I need to be away from my 5th wheel for several hours or even one night would the “fireplace“ heater be enough to keep water from freezing? I have a furnace but am a little leary of propane if I’m not there. I do have a heated hose outside.
We use a portable oil heater- it's the safest
1701535659808.png

But it will not heat the areas in the bays detached from the living area. And the pipe runs under the floor.
It is also large and bulky and if there is a power blip, it will not come back on.

Latest resources

Back