Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

For those traveling with a desktop computer….

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Rich W.

Retired Fire Chief
RVF Supporter
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 3427
RV Length
Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
6.7 ISB 360/800
TOW/TOAD
2001 Jeep Wrangler
Fulltimer
No
I just purchased an Amazon refurb Lenovo ThinkCenter “Tiny desktop” for $230. 1TB SSD, 32gb RAM, i7 running windows 10 and the thing is the size of a small book - 7”x7”x1.5”. With a wireless keyboard and mouse it will require only power supply and monitor cables and could easily be mounted or placed near one of the TVs for a monitor. I use an ipad for almost everything but for those working (or playing) on the road wanting a bigger screen and full keyboard/mouse, this seems like it would be a very good fit. Literally!
IMG_1900.jpeg

$218 from Amazon as of today (around $1500 new from Lenovo):

Lenovo ThinkCentre M910Q Tiny Desktop Computer, Intel Core i7-6700T Upto 3.6GHz, 32GB RAM, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4K 3-Monitor Support DisplayPort, HDMI, AC Wi-Fi, Bluetooth - Windows 10 Pro (Renewed)​

With i5, 8g of RAM and a 512 SSD, $99!
IMG_2424.jpeg

Timely and interesting option - thanks.

Wife is going to be doing some consulting for her old company and was looking at laptops to buy.

This may be a less expensive option since we already have some small monitors for my video editing Mac etc.

If I didn't require Windows I would use a Mac Mini. Mount it to a wall under the dinette, or under the keyboard tray, etc. Perfect compact desktop computer. But I've been bringing my full size desktop with me as it's just too much work to keep multiple computers in sync but my laptop works fine too with an external monitor, it's just noisy with the fan.

I use a laptop with an eGPU breakaway box. Amazon product ASIN B08Q755RQS
I have it connected to 4 27" monitors that are mounted to the walls via 2 wall mounts.

Amazon product ASIN B0BQNXXW99
the breakway box is in a custom frame I built so it doesn't move around. monitors are secured to the walls, all I need is a Thunderbolt-3 USB-C cable from the breakaway box to the laptop, provides the video and charging.

If I didn't require Windows I would use a Mac Mini. Mount it to a wall under the dinette, or under the keyboard tray, etc. Perfect compact desktop computer. But I've been bringing my full size desktop with me as it's just too much work to keep multiple computers in sync but my laptop works fine too with an external monitor, it's just noisy with the fan.
Just install parallels then you can use the Mac.

I run a couple copies of Windows on my Mac laptop for things that I need but can’t get on my Mac.

I run a couple copies of Windows on my Mac laptop for things that I need but can’t get on my Mac.
I used to use VMWare Fusion. Today Parallels is the preferred choice. So yeah, that's an option. During the pandemic (or back side of it) I built my own tower and love it. As a developer it's a little painful at times bringing other systems up to date so just keeping with my tower, and also for accounting and software like this, it's just easier. I'm still figuring it out, it's a never ending saga to find what works best from computer, to monitor, to chair, etc.

But this is a very tempting option to try again, especially with the newer and more powerful Mac Mini's.

But this is a very tempting option to try again, especially with the newer and more powerful Mac Mini's.
I used to use VMWare Fusion.
The new M series laptops are really nice too. Have one of those and my Mac Pro (small trash can one with the Xeon processor). The Mac Pro I use for photo and video editing on Final Cut. The laptop I use for everything else.

Had Mac Minis and they always seemed to have a heat issue. Along with that the new ones are sealed so not easy to upgrade memory etc.

VMWare was great when I was consulting. Grab a copy of a server and set it up for each client. The rollback feature came in handy from time to time.

TIL that people still use desktops. :p

But seriously, just use a laptop with an external monitor and keyboard/mouse if you need extra screen space.

The Mac Pro I use for photo and video editing on Final Cut.
Try DaVinci Resolve on any computer (Mac or Windows) - amazing video editing software. I started with Premier Pro, learned of DR and love it!

Latest resources

Back