Chassis
F53
Engine
Ford V10 with 3valve engine
TOW/TOAD
2002 Jeep Liberty
Fulltimer
No
I get 6 MPG with my 34 foot rig with the V10. What can I do to improve the gas millage? It is a Thor Hurricane.

I’m getting about 6 as well, 34ft Georgetown.
On state roads where I am a bit slower, I go all the way up to 6.5 mpg.

A banks exhaust system might help a bit but it would probably never pay for itself in savings. A more free-flowing intake/air filter will make more noise, but the factory system will flow more air than the engine can use so there is no savings there. 5 Star tuners claims some fuel savings so at around $500 that might pay for itself if it works out that way.

But the more you feed the thing the worse milage your going to get so cruising in the highest gear possible and taking grades in 3rd at 45mph instead of 5th at 55mph (and over 5,000 rpm) will make a big difference. The 6 mpg range is pretty typical but if drive at 60 instead of 65 you’ll probably be comfortably in the 7’s and might even see 8 occasionally.

I got similar on my 2017 Coachmen on the F53 chassis. I dont get a lot better than the 7ish mentioned here on the current Cummins, and diesel is a ton more expensive than gas right now. I did a 5 Star flash of the rom on the V10 to change the shift points around and it made the hill climbing much less dramatic and noisy, but I didn't see any mileage gain.

I got around 6 in my Canyon Star

Just getting ready to pick up my Sportscoach with the Cumins. Kinda hoping for a bit better that 6-7, but just have to take what it does. I've had gassers, and I understand they are way better than the old ones from the 80s, but I just feel diesel is the better way to go. Sure do miss the fuel prices from 2 years ago, but don't want to get to political.

On my 38' Canyon Star, with the "Ford Ultratune" programmer installed, I am getting from 6.5-7.1 mpg. Most driving is in the 60-65 mph range, and towing a 2017 GMC Terrain.
Based on rear end gear ratio, I believe that most F-53 chassis "Class A RV's" will get from 6.0-7.5 mpg. Doubt this will vary much, unless maybe not to exceed 55 mph, which is the engines optimal range.
Smaller, lighter RV's may get a bit better. Some may claim 9-10 mpg, etc, but I personally would have to see substantial proof to back up the claim.
My mileage is based on 23,000+ miles of driving, across all types of terrain. From sea-level to 11,000' altitude, and a time period of almost 3 years!
The main thing......DRIVE & ENJOY your RV.....whatever mileage it gets!:cool:

I have a 36ft Georgetown and get about 6mpg right now. I don’t travel over 65 mph and try and stay around 60mph.
I use to have a 32ft Thor. Much lighter and I did a reprogram. It got close to 8 or so, but on level terrain.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back