Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

fendr1962

RVF Regular
I have a Coachman Freedom Express 192 RBS Ultralite. It has a 4x4 inch bumper. I would like to mount a 2" receiver hitch on the bumper so that I can mount a 2 bike rack on it. I got in touch with the Coachman Product manager to see what the weight limit is for my bumper. Here is the answer that I got back from him:

The bumper and frame are not designed for installing aftermarket items such as bike racks, cargo racks, etc. Issues arising from installation of such items become the installer's responsibility.

Can anyone tell me what your experience has been after mounting a rack or other item on the back of a similar TT with similar bumper?

I have used a bike rack on the same rule bumper on a Puma some years back with no problems. They gave you the corporate response.

I have used a bike rack on the same rule bumper on a Puma some years back with no problems. They gave you the corporate response.
Thanks for your response! I believe the rack and two bikes will weigh a total of maybe 150 to 170 pounds. The rack is very sturdy with a locking mechanism that locks into the 2 inch receiver that keeps the whole rack from bouncing around. I know the 4x4 bumper is pretty thin but I would think it could handle that much weight without an issue.

I have a Coachman Freedom Express 192 RBS Ultralite. It has a 4x4 inch bumper. I would like to mount a 2" receiver hitch on the bumper so that I can mount a 2 bike rack on it. I got in touch with the Coachman Product manager to see what the weight limit is for my bumper. Here is the answer that I got back from him:

The bumper and frame are not designed for installing aftermarket items such as bike racks, cargo racks, etc. Issues arising from installation of such items become the installer's responsibility.

Can anyone tell me what your experience has been after mounting a rack or other item on the back of a similar TT with similar bumper?
The total weight that the bumper can support safely is probably 80 lbs and so no worries if mounting a standard bike rack and add two 30 lb road or mountain bikes. But if you put a 70 lb bike rack designed to hold two 65 lb electric bikes then you need to go to a hitch installer and have a hitch welded in place that will take this load.

Most e-bike racks are not designed for use on a 5th wheel trailer or most motorhomes so read the rack manufacturers load specifications. The stronger ones do require a 2" receiver.

I have the same camper.

I have an aluminum gear rack (Harbor Frieght) on a 2" receiver on my bumper. I carry a Champion 3400 watt generator on it. Also, I modified the rack by shortening the hitch post to bring the generator as close to the bumper as possible.

Because of the extra weight, I installed:

Quick Products QP-SBSBU Standard RV Bumper Support Brackets​

I bought them on Amazon 2 years ago.

This system is working well so far.

Attachments

• 20210512_153930.jpg
    20210512_153930.jpg
    592.5 KB · Views: 92

Do not mount anything to the bumper. I don’t even think I could stand on it without bending it.

in my opinion, You should be able to mount a two bike rack to the frame without a problem. Just a count for the extra weight when you’re loading your trailer so you don’t put too much weight on the frame. DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK THOUGH.

I literally have the same trailer. Mounting to the frame would be fine. I would never mount anything to the bumper.

I have the same camper.

I have an aluminum gear rack (Harbor Frieght) on a 2" receiver on my bumper. I carry a Champion 3400 watt generator on it. Also, I modified the rack by shortening the hitch post to bring the generator as close to the bumper as possible.

Quick Products QP-SBSBU Standard RV Bumper Support Brackets​

That is mounted to your bumper?? What are the bumper support brackets mounted to?

OK. A couple of things. One of the concerns is tong weight. Add 150 to the back will change the tong weight considerably. If you do this for bikes the wind pattern won't change much but other items may. It will be important to verify tong weight and make sure 10% of trailer weight is still on the tong. If you don't you may find yourself dirty side up in the middle of the road. Some people may question what I say "because I did it", type answer may be their answer to you because their rig was already tong heavy, and it brought things into line the way it should weigh.

I have the same camper.

Quick Products QP-SBSBU Standard RV Bumper Supportn Brackets​

Thanks for those details!

Update 09/15/2022: So I had a piece of angle iron welded (1 by 2) to the bottom/back side of the 4x4 bumper. And this was welded to the I frame on both ends. In addition I had a 4x4 1/4 inch piece of metal welded on the top and front side of the bumper (this made my bumper crush proof). Next I had a receiver hitch bolted to the bumper then welded to the bumper. I bolted brackets to the I frame that go around the bottom of the bumper and up the front side.
This summer we completed a 11,000 + mile trip to Canada and the great North West of the US. My two bike Kuat rack was solid as a rock the entire trip. Zero issue with stability or weight distribution.

Latest resources

Back