Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Freightliner Digital Dash Brightness - A solution finally!

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

redbaron

Staff member
RVF Moderator
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
London Aire 4551
RV Length
Chassis
Spartan
TOW/TOAD
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
A while ago, I posted on the other site about the terrible freightliner digital dash, and the inability to dim the dash. I have personally seen how Freightliner fixed the issue in 2020, but that dash has so many changes in it that the software will have to be backported to the 2019/2018. I don't hold my breath on this ever happening. The software engineers are only going to do this if the NTSB forces them to act.

I have been driving with a tshirt over the dash, and using my GPS to tell how fast I am going along with Bluefire to tell how my engine is performing...basically rendering the dash useless.

Recently @BuckyII reached out to me with a product he developed. It is a simple screen cut to size to snap into the dash of our 2019 Freightliner.

I am very impressed with both the ease of installation and the dramatic difference it makes.

It is easy to remove, but I plan on just leaving it installed 100% of the time.

You can buy the product directly from him @ http://www.dimit.bigcartel.com

This is a great solution -- I just wish I had thought of it first!

Thanks Ronnie

I do have the ability to change the brightness level in my coach. You’re probably right that it won’t get backported. Would be nice to see OTA updated for some of this stuff one day.

Couldn’t you just take like a piece of tinted acetate and place it over the screen? Remove it during the day? Driving with a T-shirt over the dash seems a little risky - though no as risky as driving with a flashlight pointed at your see holes.

[update] I should have clicked on the link first. That’s pretty slick and worth $50

In the A-10 cockpit when we first got NVG's we had to put film over screens. Simple solution.

Today I took my 2018 New Aire to FL dealer in Ft Myers to have FL859-E recall performed. They "crashed" the Viper Module. FL is overnighting a new module to the dealer (hopefully). With the current chip shortage, I'm not holding my breath...dealer said they would "pull one off the line" since their are none in stock. I had heard about the crash happening with one of the early attempts at applying the software update, but thought it had been resolved...apparently not. Will keep you posted. I was able to drive coach home with a very dim (black) digital dash...turn signals, cameras, etc. all worked.

what is the viper module?

what is the viper module?
Apparently, it is the brains behind the OptiView dash. The software update is supposed to modify it. In my case, it broke it. I’m guessing they were trying to update the bios and in the process fried it? At any rate, they told me I need a new Viper module.

Apparently, it is the brains behind the OptiView dash. The software update is supposed to modify it. In my case, it broke it. I’m guessing they were trying to update the bios and in the process fried it? At any rate, they told me I need a new Viper module.
That makes sense.

Crazy that I went thru all the work to get the recall in place, and I still haven't actually got mine fixed.

That makes sense.

Crazy that I went thru all the work to get the recall in place, and I still haven't actually got mine fixed.
You might get that opportunity!

My 2022 DS delivered in September has the issue. I need to dive in with FL the see how to get the SW update, given that the recall specifies 2015-2019 chassis. I know mine was manufactured in June/July timeframe.

Obviously these truck guys don't do well with software configuration management.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back