• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Fresh Water Tank Use

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I don't fill the tank but I always put some water on board because I have been known to have to stop for restroom breaks on the way.

Here's an easy one for you. If you've got a water hookup when camping, do you still need to fill the fresh water tank? Thanks!
Sumtim73,
There are many ideas on this subject. It comes down to your preference. But this is my thoughts,
If you are going to a camp set that has water hookups, you don't need water in your trailer. IT is extra weight and unless boondocking, (whole different type camping) you won't need it. If you have access to your bath while traveling, you might want to put 5-10 gals for use to flush/wash hands. Other than that, why haul it. We carry water bottles incase the water is not drinkable but so far have not ran across that. The other negative is that the camp ground water system pump goes down or somehow gets contaminated. Rare but I guess possible.
Our 5er you can get to the bath while on the road so i put 5 gals (bought a water meter) for travel stops if needed.
The other problem is that some have reported that their water tanks are not constructed with a sound support system. A full tank weights a lot, water weights 8.1 lbs/gal. A 50 gallon tank would be an additional 405lbs that on a bumpy road and not supported properly will end up on the road. Many have reinforced their tanks.
ENJOY!!!!!!

Sumtim73,
There are many ideas on this subject. It comes down to your preference. But this is my thoughts,
If you are going to a camp set that has water hookups, you don't need water in your trailer. IT is extra weight and unless boondocking, (whole different type camping) you won't need it. If you have access to your bath while traveling, you might want to put 5-10 gals for use to flush/wash hands. Other than that, why haul it. We carry water bottles incase the water is not drinkable but so far have not ran across that. The other negative is that the camp ground water system pump goes down or somehow gets contaminated. Rare but I guess possible.
Our 5er you can get to the bath while on the road so i put 5 gals (bought a water meter) for travel stops if needed.
The other problem is that some have reported that their water tanks are not constructed with a sound support system. A full tank weights a lot, water weights 8.1 lbs/gal. A 50 gallon tank would be an additional 405lbs that on a bumpy road and not supported properly will end up on the road. Many have reinforced their tanks.
ENJOY!!!!!!
Great explanation!! Thanks!

I fill mine in the camp ground, even with full hookups. I think the pump works best when used regularly. I also have experienced, waterline breaks in the campground system where a section ofvthe campground did not have water irva few hours. I did.

Yes, what he said above. ⬆️

We always keep some on board even with full hookups just in case. Much easier to just start using on board water if there is an issue with the campground source.

We typically travel with full fresh and empty waste tanks. When we arrive at a camp ground will only hook up electric until ready to depart or need to use large amounts of water. Then fill FW, dump and go.

I use external tank to treat what goes in the RV. I don't use grid water without treatment, so grid pressure is never a problem.
I use the water pump all the time, and avoid many of the issues posted on this forum.

Yes it is true I am off grid, but even when a bib has been available, I only use it to fill my treatment plant.

Man some of us would die if ever caught in a placevwhere we hat eat bugs and drink whatever water we could find.

Ladies and gentlemen, Rambo has left the building.

Latest resources

Back