Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Fridge Door Latches, What does everybody do?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

dJohn

RVF Regular
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Bay Star 3414
RV Length
35 ft
Chassis
Ford F-53
Engine
Ford Godzilla V-8
TOW/TOAD
None at this point
Fulltimer
No
Hey all, I have a 2 door Whirlpool fridge in our Newmar Bay Star, the latch that holds the doors shut is so flimsy that it will not hold the fridge door shut during travel. What does everybody else do? Have tried to find a latch that would work but I am not having much luck. Thanks for any advice you can give.

I don’t have this unit but others have told me it works well:

On my Whirlpool I used a pair of channel-lock plyers and slightly squeezed the lock channel tighter. It’s worked great for several years now.

I don’t have this unit but others have told me it works well:

On my Whirlpool I used a pair of channel-lock plyers and slightly squeezed the lock channel tighter. It’s worked great for several years now.

Our lock now is a plastic slide with slots in it for small pins that are on each door. When you slide the plastic slide to lock the doors, the bottom pin on the fridge door disengages from the slot, and viola, food all over the floor. I have looked at the Fridge fixer but can not find one for 2 door fridges. Thanks for the reply, it is much appreciated.

I use the fridge fixer. Works great and easy install. Just need your fridge model number to order.

I made a snap lock strap. My wife wraps the two handles together before heading out.

Looks like that TSB only applies to certain Newmar coaches in the 2009-2015 model year and relates to not being able to close the latch from the inside (child safety issue). The latch on our 2018 refrigerator is of the new design as I suspect later models are as well.

The problem most of us have had is keeping the doors latched, not unlatched. I have found that by cleaning the latch sliding channels and lubricating them with silicone, they latch more securely. Previously, they were not being fully engaged due to sticking issues.

TJ

I just called Newmar. Turns out my specific Vin# coach is not on the list, even if the latch is the old, problematic one.
So I had to pay $20.84 for the new improved latch.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back