• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

star1k

RVF Regular
Hello, new RVer here.
Looking for advice on the GPS unit.
I see there are GPS for trucks and GPS for RV also apps ( truck map). Which one do you like better? Is there a difference?
My truck came with standard google maps which can not be configured for commercial trucks ( which all dualies in NY )
Thanks

I have the Garmin RV 890 which is now phased out. If buying today I'd get this one - either 895 or 1095 depending on size desired:

Amazon product ASIN B09ZK66DW3

Thank you. I saw in one review that the big screen display is usually not recommended, since space at the window is at premium. Would you go with a 10" display or smaller?

The 890 is sized fine for me and I don't want to create blind spots either. I position mine on the dash left of the steering wheel as I don't believe in looking down at a GPS unit. Eyes must always be up and out. Here is the 895 direct link:

Amazon product ASIN B0B61ZSZKG

We have the same 8 inch Garmin. 10 would be nice but not really needed.

Have our RV specs set for routing and use RV Trip wizard for planning then transfer the files to the Garmin.

I have the 10” Garmin 1090.
We love it because we can both see it and if the road is busy, she can help direct me.

890. Its too new to consider it obsolete and justify a replacement or I’d have a 1090 but 8” works out just fine. Also fits nicely on the edge of my dash left of the wheel, like Neal’s.

Hello, new RVer here.
Looking for advice on the GPS unit.
I see there are GPS for trucks and GPS for RV also apps ( truck map). Which one do you like better? Is there a difference?
My truck came with standard google maps which can not be configured for commercial trucks ( which all dualies in NY )
Thanks
We also use a Garmin (and have been for over 10 years now) but I check my route using Google Earth before the days travel. No matter what GPS unit you finally choose DO NOT TRUST IT 100%! The same with Google Earth but using both I have had fewer wrong directions.

Darrell

I have a 1090 in the MH but it has a huge windshield, I can understand your concern in a pickup.
Take a look at Garmin's website they have 3 listed by size.

Garmin RV GPS

For three years we have been using the RVLife GPS app on an iPhone.
In our rig the dash between the driver and passenger has an area where the phone can sit. It faces the driver and usually the voice prompts through the sound system are all we need. But when going through an urban area or area with many turns, the passenger will pick up the phone to look further ahead and act as navigator.
In these 3 years I think we had one time that we decided that the GPS was wrong. But there have been…ummm…a couple/few times where I didn’t listen and we ended up taking in some extra sights not in the original plan. 😳

Latest resources

Back