• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Full wall slide fail!! 2020 DS 4081

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Unfortunately this hardly ever happened but in the later years it’s happening mine was a 23
One thing that came up from Newmar, you should never partially bring the room out and then bring it back in. They say that this creates undue pressure on the slide mechanisms.

In mine they sent the entire “arm” the part that bolts in at the top to the wall and the floor. Included cylinder, chains, rack etc. I think HWH has the ability to goodwill, maybe if you’re doing the labor that will sway them. Good luck. Ask for a new arm assembly

Last edited:
Unfortunately this hardly ever happened but in the later years it’s happening mine was a 23
One thing that came up from Newmar, you should never partially bring the room out and then bring it back in. They say that this creates undue pressure on the slide mechanisms.
I do remember our dealer telling us that on the delivery as we ran thru the basic operation of the coach. Some times it is unavoidable. I would love to hear the practical engineering basis for the warning though. Just being told that its not good to do something is not good enough for me. If there is an actual and practical reason that the slide should not be stopped once it begins a cycle, someone should explain why.

In mine the sent the entire “arm” the part that bolts in at the top to the wall and the floor. Included cylinder, chains, rack etc. I think HWH has the ability to goodwill, maybe if you’re doing the labor that will sway them. Good luck. Ask for a new arm assembly
I was wondering how the pinion gear would even be installed with the assembly in situ. It looks like it would have to be completely disassembled on a bench. It will be interesting to see what HWH will be willing to do for me on this for sure.

I do remember our dealer telling us that on the delivery as we ran thru the basic operation of the coach. Some times it is unavoidable. I would love to hear the practical engineering basis for the warning though. Just being told that its not good to do something is not good enough for me. If there is an actual and practical reason that the slide should not be stopped once it begins a cycle, someone should explain why.
The synchronizer cylinder that can’t always equalize the pressures created when the travel is reversed in mid travel. This was my understanding of what was said

Last edited:
I’ll ask Frank about it in the morning and see what his understanding is of the practice.
When I asked HWH they said they didn’t know why it failed, my tech at HWH thought that Newmar’s were upgraded with a metal sleeve around the revolver because of the weight of the slide room. This turned out to be incorrect
Maybe you will learn more, can’t weight to hear

BTW this was not something that I did on mine, maybe a few times in a pinch, however I believe the selling dealer may have done this
I know some people do this while traveling at truck stops for a break

Update on the full wall slide actuator jamming situation:
The entire actuator assembly for the aft end of the slide will need to be replaced. HWH is providing the parts and return shipping for the broken actuator on a goodwill warranty at no charge. I could not be happier with the support and response from HWH. I really wish that I could say the same for Newmar's customer service. Mary flat out rejected my request to have the issue corrected by them because I am 6 months out of warranty. This is clearly a latent defect failure. I would expect Newmar to at least offer to investigate before outright rejecting the request. If HWH had not stepped up, I would pursue a remedy more aggressively thru Newmar. It will be a few weeks before I get a new assembly to install. The installation although not a small task is not too difficult, setting up the sync cylinder and bleeding the system for the wall to extend and retract evenly will be the most nerve racking part I am sure. This retraction system is very unique to be sure.
Rusty Mayes

Great news! I personally experienced Marry’s lack of customer service so no surprise there.

Latest resources

Back