Rustymayes

RVF VIP
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Fulltimer
No
I got lucky I guess, The full wall slide decided to jam but at least it waited until I got home and did not strand me or add to the normal stress of breaking camp and getting home on a Sunday night. When I got home I extended the wall to facilitate unloading the coach at our front door instead of lugging stuff from the barn, A whole 150 feet! Our driveway is not perfectly level but it is not on a hill either. The slide went out about as smoothly as it normally does but when I went to retract the wall to move the coach to the barn, the aft end only came in about 4 inches and stopped, the forward end wanted to continue but of course I stopped right away and extended it again. I tried a couple of more times but no luck. I decided to move the coach to the barn so I carefully drove it the 150 feet to a perfectly level concrete floor and tried it again with no luck. Even on a level deck the left side is always a bit low with the slide out so I leveled with the jacks to see if that made a difference and it still did not. The wall extends and levels with the coach floor and the seams are all even at the seals. When I retract it, it seems to raise evenly and begin to slide in but the aft end stops after 4 inches. I am wondering if there are DIY instructions anywhere on wall slide trouble shooting and adjustment? I will not take this to the local dealership, I will reverse engineer the darn thing if I have too. getting to the rear chain and cylinder looks to be the most sporty part as the cabinets in the master bedroom look to need to be removed to gain access. I know I recently read a post about a member having the same issue but I hate searching for old threads. Thanks for any help that can be offered.

First off sorry you’re going through this , just happened to me but on the front.
Is the room lifting? There are two movments up and then in

First off sorry you’re going through this , just happened to me but on the front.
Is the room lifting? There are two movments up and then in
Yes, the room lifts evenly and retracts 4 to 6 inches but jams at the rear end of the wall. My brother just called me and told me he had the same issue on his coach and he found that bleeding the hydraulics fixed his issue so I will try that tomorrow.

Definitely good place to start, your MH should have come with two threaded rods that have nuts welded to the end. They are made to manually retract the room, do you have them?

Definitely good place to start, your MH should have come with two threaded rods that have nuts welded to the end. They are made to manually retract the room, do you have them?
Yes, I do, I have yet to figure out just where they attach but I figure I will need to use them to retract the wall while bleeding the system

Yes, I do, I have yet to figure out just where they attach but I figure I will need to use them to retract the wall while bleeding the system
At the bottom of the rear slide trim the bottom comes off on the front the little cabinet has a hole in the back wall
If the wholes line up you thread the rods in front and rear, if they don’t line up like mine you will need to file the wood or remove the columns , held on with a few square head screws. In the middle bay ceiling there is a cylinder with two lever valves, they need to both be flipped, than it’s 1 turn front rod one turn rear if the rear is still not moving you have something frozen or jammed do not operate the slide switch with rods in place
Tomorrow morning I would call HWH 800-321-3494 they are very helpful in walking you through this procedure. Let me know if I can help

Thank you Stuart, I appreciate the help. I will look into this after work this afternoon. I found the aft hole last night when investigating how to access the cylinder and found the magnetically attached panel. Ill keep you posted

The other hole is in the back of the little cabinet down low behind drivers seat,

Thanks Stuart , I spoke to Frank a HWH and he gave me some things to check. The aft cylinder seems to be either in op or something is jamming the chain because the cylinder moves just a few inches in both directions and then stops hard. I tried to move the slide in with the jack screws but only the bottom end advances with the top jammed solid. Now it will not move far enough out to level anymore. I will talk to Frank again in the AM to get schematics and instructions for swapping hoses on the synchronizing cylinder to see if the problem moves to the front cylinder.
The best way to really learn a system is having to fix one so I am getting a masters degree on HWH hydraulics.
What ended up being the issue on your rig?
IMG_1731.jpeg
IMG_1732.jpeg
IMG_1733.jpeg

Thanks Stuart , I spoke to Frank a HWH and he gave me some things to check. The aft cylinder seems to be either in op or something is jamming the chain because the cylinder moves just a few inches in both directions and then stops hard. I tried to move the slide in with the jack screws but only the bottom end advances with the top jammed solid. Now it will not move far enough out to level anymore. I will talk to Frank again in the AM to get schematics and instructions for swapping hoses on the synchronizing cylinder to see if the problem moves to the front cylinder.
The best way to really learn a system is having to fix one so I am getting a masters degree on HWH hydraulics.
What ended up being the issue on your rig?
View attachment 23278View attachment 23279View attachment 23280
Mine was a piece they call the revolver because it’s round and holds 5 pins. It was the front Ram effected and I was under warranty so the entire mechanism was replaced. It took 3 Mobil techs 3 hours to remove the broken parts so the slide cold be pushed in. This is a picture of the revolver.
If you need to work on the rear Ram you are going to want to remove the rear column finisher (a few screws) than you are going to want to remove the vertical plywood that is behind it. It is nailed into the aluminum structure of the slide. The best way is to slightly pry the plywood and get a Saw’s All blade it to cut the nails from behind you can screw it back on after. Of course this is assuming this is something you feel confident in doing. Obviously try bleeding it first or what ever HWH has you try. Working on the rear ram is somewhat like building a ship in a bottle😬
Question did you have any noise when this happened? Mine exploded

Attachments

• 1064043F-1E4E-4F41-BEFD-CAC85E48C9E8.jpeg
    1064043F-1E4E-4F41-BEFD-CAC85E48C9E8.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 41

Latest resources

Back