• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Full wall slide fail!! 2020 DS 4081

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Thanks again Stuart for the pics and insight as to the construction of the slide room.
I figured some major disassembly would be required. Is the rear /end wall of the room removable with out taking out the cabinetry? I took the wall end trim off last night and was trying to decipher the code to removing the plywood wall. I did hear some muffled mechanical noises when the slide went out. I will get my inspection scope in there and take a look tomorrow. What does the revolver do and where is it found? is it a guide of some kind for the chain? Hopefully Frank will have not only hydraulic schematics but also mechanical. I am not understanding just what parts of the slide are Newmar and what parts are HWH. The structure is obviously Newmar but is the lift and chain drive an HWH creation or do they just supply the electro/ hydraulic parts for Newmar?

Better picture of failed part

Attachments

• 4AF6B3F2-C4E9-4E45-A888-1BF63ABE7E35.jpeg
    4AF6B3F2-C4E9-4E45-A888-1BF63ABE7E35.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 28
  • 2D362E47-23F0-4AB0-986D-4CE00790CC0D.jpeg
    2D362E47-23F0-4AB0-986D-4CE00790CC0D.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 22
It synchronizes the chains

Sorry it is at mid level each piece of chain is attached to a rack the two racks are engaged my the revolver. My best understanding
I have also seen cylinders seize

Thanks again Stuart for the pics and insight as to the construction of the slide room.
I figured some major disassembly would be required. Is the rear /end wall of the room removable with out taking out the cabinetry? I took the wall end trim off last night and was trying to decipher the code to removing the plywood wall. I did hear some muffled mechanical noises when the slide went out. I will get my inspection scope in there and take a look tomorrow. What does the revolver do and where is it found? is it a guide of some kind for the chain? Hopefully Frank will have not only hydraulic schematics but also mechanical. I am not understanding just what parts of the slide are Newmar and what parts are HWH. The structure is obviously Newmar but is the lift and chain drive an HWH creation or do they just supply the electro/ hydraulic parts for Newmar?
Taking the plywood off isn’t terrible. And yes the entire mechanism is HWH

Wow! just tried to get basic information from technical support from Newmar about my slide issue. What a Fn' disappointment. The bubble head they have told me it would take a couple of days to get me the information from a tech out on the production floor and get back to me. All I need to know (which @Stuart W already told me) is how to remove the interior wall panel to access the full wall slide cylinder and chain mechanism. She was a Pissy Bitch in my opinion. They should by now have veteran techs that know every square inch of the model they represent to answer at least basic questions like that. I can not say enough about the service tech at HWH however. Very responsive, knowledgeable, patient and willing to help. Their website is remarkable as well with good technical drawings available for their systems. Like with most things on this coach, I will just patiently and carefully dissect it and figure it out on my own. I decided to spend 1/2 million bucks on a higher quality coach because I thought I would be buying a better machine along with premium support. Don't get me wrong, many things about the Dutch Star are quite premium and I love my coach. I am just disappointed in the company in terms of support and some of the corners that seem to be cut in production. Excuse my venting please.

Sorry to hear , I bet her name was Mary…….
In looking at my broken parts I think it may have been 6 pins. Once you get that piece of plywood off you can actually touch and remove the cylinder if need be. To better describe the revolver, the Ram attached to the rack, the pins engage the rack

Just to be clear this is the plywood you need to remove in the back

Attachments

• 82483F17-C755-4855-B4A1-8BAC48C2149E.jpeg
    82483F17-C755-4855-B4A1-8BAC48C2149E.jpeg
    406.6 KB · Views: 13
Thanks Stuart. I removed the plywood end cap which gave good access to the slide actuator. Frank at HMH told me to work to get the room retracted which would entail somehow shoving the top from the outside while we used the jack screws to manually crank in the wall. I figured that if I brought the wall back in, I would be screwed as access would really be limited. After I took the end cap off, I unbolted the top and bottom bracket of the actuator that attaches to the room frame and disconnected the top and bottom chain attach points. This gave me access to the cylinder and rack. I took the cylinder off (after finding the cylinder rod nuts loose). The cylinder came right off because the' revolver' / pinion gear axel was sheered, bent and pulled out of its threaded boss in the end cap of the cylinder. I am sure this renders the cylinder ruined. I will send pics to Frank in the morning and see what we can do the get this fixed.
Mary at Newmar actually did email me and answered the question that I called about. I may have been quick to condemn her assistance. I apologized to her for being short with her:sick:. I am going to try to make a case that this should be covered by warranty. This is clearly a build issue. How else would this fail so prematurely?

end cap 2.jpg

Damaged pinion gear/ Revolver

asssembly installed.jpg

pulled out pinion gear axel
ruined axel.jpg

Pulled out threads on cylinder

ruined cylinder.jpg

Bent pinion axel
bent axel.jpg

Latest resources

Back