• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Furnace troubles

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
The burner on an RV furnace has a spark ignition (no pilot flame). The burner lights with full flame and the spark rod is then used for flame rectification. In other words, when the burner first tries to light the rod throws a spark to the burner and lighting the propane, then after the gas valve opens the spark rod is used to sense flame by using the flame to conduct electricity. If the spark rod is dirty you may or may not see the anything wrong with it, but use a scrubber pad to clean it to a nice shine. When the burner does light is the flame nice and strong and mostly blue in color? If it has yellow in it the burner itself may be partially plugged (spiders are good for this) or I have seen an orifice get partially plugged. Use nothing stronger than a toothpick to poke the hole in it. Also, you can have a board fail on it and it will act like that. My water heater did pretty much the same thing. I purchased a Dinosaur Board through Amazon and fixed it. HERE is a site that has some good troubleshooting instructions.
Thanks great advice. It was a low propane output from the regulator.

Thanks for letting us know what fixed your furnace. Now for the toilet, what type do you have? Something you can try is to pour a cup or so of straight vinegar into the toilet and sometimes that will remove the calcium build up. I have had to even pull the seal (being the cheap SOB I am) and gently scrape the crustiness off then put the seal back in. It took about five days before it completely sealed again, but it sealed! IF you do that turn your water off so it won't knock the seal out of your hand.....

I really appreciate all the good advice. Well we ended up having to change out the furnace after all. Local RV guy had one in the next day $$$, as the manufacturer wanted us to send it to them because they couldn’t figure out what was causing the problem.
Still working on the toilet. Tried the vinegar and cleaned the seal. Will wait until spring as it’s 10 degrees and can’t turn the water off without removing all the insulation I’ve built around it. It’s a second bathroom so we can do without.
Some other things that might help RV’ers. Our cable connection had a very high db test that was affecting our satellite internet. After finding the coax splitter behind a wall in the storage compartment we figured out it was defective. Again the manufacturer told us to send it to them before they would replace it (I guess they don’t believe us) I rerouted a coax cable through the slid out to the modem.
The leak under our kitchen sink was fixed by me cutting off the fittings and replacing them as they were cross threaded.
We’re still trying to figure out how to keep the oven on as we think the fan keeps blowing it out. Thank goodness for the convection microwave.
Thanks again for all the advice and we hope this helps others.

I really appreciate all the good advice. Well we ended up having to change out the furnace after all. Local RV guy had one in the next day $$$, as the manufacturer wanted us to send it to them because they couldn’t figure out what was causing the problem.
Still working on the toilet. Tried the vinegar and cleaned the seal. Will wait until spring as it’s 10 degrees and can’t turn the water off without removing all the insulation I’ve built around it. It’s a second bathroom so we can do without.
Some other things that might help RV’ers. Our cable connection had a very high db test that was affecting our satellite internet. After finding the coax splitter behind a wall in the storage compartment we figured out it was defective. Again the manufacturer told us to send it to them before they would replace it (I guess they don’t believe us) I rerouted a coax cable through the slid out to the modem.
The leak under our kitchen sink was fixed by me cutting off the fittings and replacing them as they were cross threaded.
We’re still trying to figure out how to keep the oven on as we think the fan keeps blowing it out. Thank goodness for the convection microwave.
Thanks again for all the advice and we hope this helps others.
WOW what a nightmare. Thank you for posting so some of us can learn a thing or two. Great information to have at hand. I'm truly sorry it has happened to you.

Thanks but there are none in this area. Trying to bribe the local RV dealer but they are reluctant to work on a camping world product. We had a list of defaults looked at by camping world before we moved over here and none of them were fixed, have had to fix them all ourselves. We would never go or recommend them to anyone. Now the furnace in 20 degrees and a foot of snow.
old post I know, but I agree with
Thanks but there are none in this area. Trying to bribe the local RV dealer but they are reluctant to work on a camping world product. We had a list of defaults looked at by camping world before we moved over here and none of them were fixed, have had to fix them all ourselves. We would never go or recommend them to anyone. Now the furnace in 20 degrees and a foot of snow.
old post I know, but I do agree with not using camping world. Camping world OKC had me there from 9am till 2pm and all I had to do was sign paperwork. They didn't want to accept a check from my bank. Then one of my reclining seats didn't work so I had to leave half of my furniture there. Camping world lubbock was supposed to fix warranty stuff and said I needed a new water heater because it was leaking..I put a new fitting on the water going to the water heater and stopped the leak

Latest resources

Back