RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Dutch Star
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2021 Willys
Last trip I noticed a very small amount of hydraulic fluid on the top of my grill in the second bin, curb side under what I assume is the balancing cylinder for the FWS. I checked all the fittings, and they were tight. I then cleaned the area on the cylinder and fittings, put a large piece of white cardboard where the grill was and we took off for a week camping at the Tampa show with the NKK. While there, I had the techs from Newmar look at it and they surmised the leak was apparently coming from one of the wire grommets on the solenoid which had turned pink instead of white. (see pic) They didn't have one in stock at the time, so I figured I'd find something after we got back home. No leak detected on cardboard after 6 complete slide operations.
Once back home, I called HWH, explained what the part was, and they were out of stock with no idea if or when they would get them. I was surprised when they quoted 240 something dollars. I then called Newmar. They did have them in stock. I asked them "how much". It's not really clear as to what happened after that as I believe I passed out for a short time. If I remember correctly it was just about double from the HWH price... but they have them. Question is: Has anyone had this issue and possibly found an alternate supplier? There are no discernable markings on these.
20220220_134521.jpg

Last edited:
With a leak that minimal, as long as the slide is working properly, I’d just live with it. Aside from the cost, “repairing” it might create bigger problems than an almost non-existent leak.

Yeah, but the fact that the oil is coming out of where voltage goes in is what bothers me. I'm thinking if it does fail, I could manually actuate it with the flipper on the end. Does anyone know just how these solenoids operate or what their function is?

Try these guys. I’ve never used them but who knows.

Thanks J&JD. I'll try tomorrow.

as an fyi, Stuart's service is one of the main service/dist for hwh. Newmar sent me there years ago when there was an issue with the hwh pump. they had all the parts.

I have a similar problem. A few times I’ve found HWH fluid on top of a bin in the 3rd compartment back. I found the fluid had dripped off the black HWH lines / loom. I cleaned it off, checked all the connections, followed the lines, etc, but I couldn’t find the source. I’ve checked the fluid reservoir and no noticeable loss of fluid. I too figured it must be FWS related. Just checked, no redness on where you have it.

J&JD, I can't thank you enough for that lead. They had the part at the original non inflated, but still too high price of 242.00 and are shipping it out today. I owe you a couple beers if we ever meet up on the road!

That part is a solenoid which HWH uses in a manifold for ram operation. They were about 240 each when I owned coach which needed them. They all leak a little. Don't worry about it. If amount gets worse, then you can change it. Depending on which one and where, a special tool is needed to remove from coach. I might still have the tool and in fact have all the HWH parts I got as spares. If I do, I will post here. Might have also sent them to the fellow who made them because I did not ever want a hydraulic slide system again. Replacing a hose will cure you of every wanting to do it again. HWH also rebuilds the solenoids, so if needed, you can ask about a rebuilt one, which are as good as the new ones. You can take out the leaker ship to HWH, have them rebuild it, and return it. I might still have the plugs needed to plug hole, so junk does not intrude. SLIDE WILL BE INOPERTITAVE DURING TIME, so get good estimate from HWH on length of turn around. I have attached a manual which IS NOT FOR YOUR SYSTEM but will show the correct nomenclature of the part and how HWH describes its operation. The referenced 625 System was in Alpine Motorhomes by Western RV, now OOB. They were a PIA to work on. If you do this repair, take note of the type of hydraulic fluid used, I have couple quarts of HWH fluid, (but yours looks like transmission fluid to me) I think. You will use some fluid to lubricate the end and I think metal mating surface for reassembly. Like I said, never every want a hydraulic slide system again, did I say PIA, well they are. In finding that manual, I also have about 30 or so documents related to many of the HWH systems used. Posting those here would not be good, I could make CD and send it to someone if you want it. Send me pm if needed.

Attachments

• HWH full PartsManual.pdf
    16.9 MB · Views: 11

Latest resources

Back