• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Resolved FWS not responsive

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I just lived through the kitchen slide being inoperative stuck in the closed position.

Did all the reset stuff, no joy. It would click and try but not move. Dealer said probably motor. There are two. If one fails, the controller will sense that and shut it off. Took it in and it was a failed motor.

I've never read engine running to operate slides, i usually do all my hook ups with the slides in to save my back. that would mean restarting to do slides? I plug in first so thought that would charge the chassis batteries, No problems to date, but sure don't want to cause an issue.
If your chassis batteries are fully charged and you are plugged in it probably doesn’t make a heck of a lot of difference. You might be surprised, however, how much faster the HWH FWS will come in with the engine running. My coach will not allow me to operate the bedroom slide at all with the engine running. The kitchen slide will come in but not go out with engine running. The FWS will operate both in/out with engine running. Go figure.

My slides are 12V and powered by house batteries.

My slides are 12V and powered by house batteries.
Are you sure? Maybe it’s different for the DS because of the HWH hydraulic FWS? If you turn off your chassis battery disconnect will your slides still work?

I don’t have an answer for charging. Last early Summer, Spring, and Winter when were using the coach we had no issues. This is the longest it has since we owned it. As near as I can tell, these are the batteries that came in it six years ago next month. We haven’t had any issues with the slides. Generator running/not running, engine running/ not running, plugged in/not plugged in. I think we have done all of the combinations.

I busted disconnected my chassis batteries. The door slides continued to work. The hydraulic pump and the FWS did not

Just disconnected

Are you sure? Maybe it’s different for the DS because of the HWH hydraulic FWS? If you turn off your chassis battery disconnect will your slides still work?
All of my slides are electric, non HWH. After getting my LiFePO4 house battery upgrade and harvest hosting a night I did a test on the amp draw of running slides off of house batteries. Surprised to see how little power they do draw when running. If it was running off of chassis batteries I would not have seen the amp draw on the Victron display.

I agree with Neal….I have watched the meters when operating slides on fully charged lithiums and they don’t change much…

It is my understanding that all slides are powered from the chassis batteries. That is why it is recommended to operate the slides with the engine running as the alternator is charging the chassis batteries before it will switch to the house batteries.
I agree ... I always have the engine running when slides go in and out.

FLSteve

Latest resources

Back