• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Resolved FWS not responsive

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Update. The coach was plugged in when this happened. I thought to myself "self we are told it is better to run the slides with the engine running". I tried to start the engine. Chassis batteries were dead. I jumped the chassis batteries with the house batteries. Since the coach was running, I started the generator to exercise it. With everything running, I got the coach out and drove about thirty minutes to a fuel stop. Fueled the coach up and put back in the barn. with the generator running and the engine running I tried all the slides and they all worked. I guess I am confused. Where does the coach get power to operate the slides? I thought it was the house batteries. They were at 13.2 during this.

HWH FWS is powered by the chassis batt. With the dead chassis batts while pluged in, you may want to check the solenoid in your power bay to make sure it is functioning. What ever model solenoid you have, either white rogers or amatek, they are both junk and have a tendency to fail, specialy when the coach is plugged in long term, the solenoid ends up with a shorter life.

As for slide ops, they are all different from early years to the late year models. earlier years 2016 and earlier, engine had to be off before you could operate the slides. 17-18 some slides would close-in with engine running, but not open. Later model years, I think the slides operate with the engine running, which is the way it should be to supply sufficient charge to the batts. HWH FWS needs sufficient batt voltage to op safely, unlike the elec ones which need sufficient amps

When traveling it's usually never a problem getting slides out as your alternator has been charging batteries. It's after it sits...I always start my engine..let warm up then bring slides in...go back out and unhook cable and hoses.
Did you try ur battery boost to start engine?

The root of the problem is obviously dead (and/or non charging) chassis batteries. My question to you/all is how long do you wait to replace your CAR (toad) battery? Do you wait to fail or do it at an interval? I don't want to be in a non start situation in my coach so I replaced my chassis batteries at 5 years need it or not. I do my car at 4 years. Recently I had my car in for service and they tested the battery and noticed it was weak, I ignored that, sure enough I had a no start and got it replaced. It was a little over 4 years old. So dealers can test car batteries and see if the CCA is up to snuff as mine was not.

Long story longer, chassis batteries are cheap. Replace them on an interval such as 4 or 5 years and avoid headaches or being stuck out somewhere.

Batteries do not last like they use to that's for sure. I was told that if you get 3 years out of a battery you're doing great. My jeep battery lasted 3.6 years and died while in Canada. My other cars batteries last longer but they are on a battery minder from Harbor Freight 24/7. I let mine go until they act up usually less than 4 yrs

I tell people I can be a bit of a simpleton. I carry a jump pack capable of jumping the coach, a 20 amp battery charger, and jumper cables. I can also boost the chassis batteries with the house batteries. I'm gonna get every last little bit of good out of my coach batteries I can. I know, it's a few hundred dollars armed out over the ensuing years, but it is the principle.

Latest resources

Back