• Commercial/Vendors welcome

The fun resumes…or not

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Dennis, have you ever used the HB to do a regen?
Have not but have been through the procedure just in case.

Have used it to read and reset codes on a couple coaches though.

Friend was looking at it for work - they have to call Volvo to do forced regens at $800 a pop on their heavy equipment…

Have not but have been through the procedure just in case.

Have used it to read and reset codes on a couple coaches though.

Friend was looking at it for work - they have to call Volvo to do forced regens at $800 a pop on their heavy equipment…
That’s crazy - the Diesel Laptops HD handheld will work for Volvo (I’ll check to see if that includes off road heavy equip) and they usually have them used for $300. But $800 for a regen is ridiculous- it takes 2-3 minutes to set up and an hour to wait for it to complete.

There might be something to that….as I have never had a regen incident (knock in wood) but I do make sure that I take the RV out for a 45 minute (interstate) drive every 30 days. This also lets me run the generator, oasis, etc on a regular basis. I feel like it is also good for the tires…

This ^^^
Regular running at HOT temps. Regular and long idling does not help, idling only makes the DPF problem worse.
Yes, I know truckers idle for long periods of time. Also know that most of these same truckers have a switch (like below pic) on their dashboard to start a regen, no special tool required. So accumulating some extra soot in the DPF is not a big deal.

Attachments

• IMG_6322.jpeg
    IMG_6322.jpeg
    914.3 KB · Views: 11
That’s crazy - the Diesel Laptops HD handheld will work for Volvo (I’ll check to see if that includes off road heavy equip) and they usually have them used for $300. But $800 for a regen is ridiculous- it takes 2-3 minutes to set up and an hour to wait for it to complete.
Yes it is - from what he has said none of their heavy equipment actually does on on its own as they should. Would save them a bunch of money having something to start them on their own.

This ^^^
Regular running at HOT temps. Regular and long idling does not help, idling only makes the DPF problem worse.
Yes, I know truckers idle for long periods of time. Also know that most of these same truckers have a switch (like below pic) on their dashboard to start a regen, no special tool required. So accumulating some extra soot in the DPF is not a big deal.
I’ve often thought about replacing my shorting plug with a switch on the dash (very simple job and there is room for an additional rocker switch). but I have never had the need to do a parked regen because I do forced regens proactively. Still it bugs me that every other type of vehicle with a HD diesel engine has the convenience of a regen switch, and for whatever reason, motor homes don’t.

I have the old analog DEF head...so, maybe...fingers crossed...I don't have these episodes..
This incident had nothing to do with the DEF head and the DEF head simulator would not have helped in this situation. The doser is down stream of the DEF head/tank.

As to the shorting plug, definitely something to know about and know how to use, I had to use it in my Breckenridge de-rate AFTER the Cummins service tech used his laptop to fix me up and the coach wanted another regen as soon as I departed, then never again. I pulled over, dove under the dash and disconnected/reconnected the plug below the OBD port. Never did it again. I tried it in this situation and it did not do a regen so it must not have needed one.

BREAK BREAK

I made it no issue on the long haul to Fond du Lac, WI today, everything was great. Thankfully no lights! I'll create a new post to discuss something @Rich W. and I talked about on the phone yesterday so others can learn from it as I was possibly doing something wrong on my starts. To the Cummins area for that now.

I’ve often thought about replacing my shorting plug with a switch on the dash (very simple job and there is room for an additional rocker switch). but I have never had the need to do a parked regen because I do forced regens proactively. Still it bugs me that every other type of vehicle with a HD diesel engine has the convenience of a regen switch, and for whatever reason, motor homes don’t.
Well, the switch is on the Superstar - standard on the M2 chassis.

Can stop one in progress if needed as well as start one when the yellow light is on stating a regen is needed.

Does not do a parked one from the dash though unless the yellow light on that a regen is needed.

Well, the switch is on the Superstar - standard on the M2 chassis.

Can stop one in progress if needed as well as start one when the yellow light is on stating a regen is needed.

Does not do a parked one from the dash though unless the yellow light on that a regen is needed.
All as it should be. Maybe when I get everything else done on my coach list I’ll install a regen switch. Is yours spring loaded/momentary of just on/off?

I thought in 2024 Cummins / engine manufacturers were required to offer the ability to regen, etc. @redbaron I think you mentioned something about this some time ago?

All as it should be. Maybe when I get everything else done on my coach list I’ll install a regen switch. Is yours spring loaded/momentary of just on/off?
The switch on our rig is a spring loaded momentary switch - and it has to be held for 5 or 10 seconds. Regen will not start instantly.

Latest resources

Back