• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Gas in Diesel :-(

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
If you drain the tank yourself I recommend changing all filters also. I worked construction sites for several years. Anytime this happened (or reverse) the mechanics would yell “Don’t start the engine,” then they drained it and replaced the filters.

From what I've read, not a Chemist, the Gasoline will separate from the Diesel (lighter fluid). This can be the issue. You don't get a nice blend but pockets of Gasoline, which can be bad news for your very expensive diesel system.
If it were me, I'd drain the tank completely, then flush with some fresh diesel just to be sure. BUT that is just the way I'd do it (paranoid)

Good luck..
and change fliters.

Not sure if you read my post about the Artificial Intelligence software that I encountered, but I asked it the following..

"I accidently put gas in my diesel car. Should I call Cummins and ask them what 6% gas in the fuel would do to my IS?

The answer was. . .
If you have accidentally put gasoline in a diesel car, it is generally recommended to take immediate action rather than waiting to consult with a specific manufacturer like Cummins. While Cummins is a renowned manufacturer of diesel engines, they may not have the specific information on how a different manufacturer's vehicle, such as your IS (presumably Lexus IS), would react to such a situation. Here are some general steps to consider:

1. Do not start the engine: Starting the engine can circulate the mixed fuel and potentially cause damage.
  2. Contact a professional: It is advisable to call a roadside assistance service or a qualified mechanic who can guide you on the best course of action. They have the expertise and experience to handle these situations appropriately.
  3. Drain the fuel tank: In most cases, the fuel tank needs to be drained completely to remove the contaminated fuel. Depending on the vehicle, this may involve removing the fuel tank or using specialized equipment to pump out the fuel.
  4. Flush the fuel system: After draining the tank, it is important to flush the fuel system to remove any remaining traces of the incorrect fuel. This may involve replacing fuel filters and purging the fuel lines.
  5. Refill with the correct fuel: Once the fuel system has been flushed, refill the tank with the appropriate diesel fuel.
It's worth noting that the exact impact of gasoline in a diesel engine can vary depending on factors such as the amount of gasoline added, the engine design, and other variables. Promptly addressing the issue by seeking professional assistance can help minimize the potential damage and ensure the best course of action for your specific vehicle.

We never heard back from the OP but I re-read the post that they drove 10 miles with it. My guess is they will continue to drive it and hope for the best.

You know, I think everyone that posted is probably right. Yes, in colder climates unleaded gas is/was routinely put in with diesel as an anti-gel. Yes, the newer systems run at higher pressures with more sensors. Gas is lighter than diesel. I am pretty sure methanol, ethanol, and xylene is lighter than gasoline. They are all hydrocarbons. This is what most ant-gel and injector cleaners are composed of. Can we not EVER run those through our systems. I have to think the ratio is as critical as anything

Just looking to see who revived this one. Hmmm. OP never did come back, did he?
But since I'm in here, the factory service manual for my older VW diesel has a chart in it laying out exactly how much gasoline to add to your diesel to make your own "winter mix" fuel. Which amused me when I first ran across it.

Let us all hope no news is good news. We all are curious. I hope he returns to comment.

Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah to everyone here.

I had fresh clean water to drink, a warm shower and a soft warm place to rest tonight. Thank God I am not on the other side of the world.

Looking it up diesel is heavier then gasoline so it I ”think” you have a good chance none of the gas was in ingested into the engine with the fuel pickup towards the bottom of the tank.

Get a couple of 55 gal drums, drain the fuel into them. Let them sit for a while. If you can see the gas at the top, siphon it off.

Latest resources

Back