Chassis
Prevost
Engine
Volvo D13
TOW/TOAD
2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Fulltimer
No
Hi newmarians, what is the right way to manually start the gen? I am finding that on the first start it seems to take 10 seconds or more to turn over even after priming. I typically hold the primer down and count slow for about 5 sec. Some folks have said the primer light should come but I have never seen that happen. The manual doesn’t give a lot of details on proper starting procedures.

Glad to find out about this new forum.

Welcome aboard, Sheridany. Glad to have you join us.

On our coach, we just hold down the start button until the generator starts. It usually takes 5-10 seconds. I would think yours would be the same.

TJ

Hi newmarians, what is the right way to manually start the gen? I am finding that on the first start it seems to take 10 seconds or more to turn over even after priming. I typically hold the primer down and count slow for about 5 sec. Some folks have said the primer light should come but I have never seen that happen. The manual doesn’t give a lot of details on proper starting procedures.

I've seen it done both ways. You can manually prime first by holding the button down opposite direction of the start, mine that would be the bottom side. I personally don't do that, I hold the start side in until start. It should auto prime then start and yes, as @TJ&LadyDi mentioned it can take a bit of time so be patient.

Welcome to the new site, great to have you here.

We are not big users of the generator so for that reason I have always primed for a manual start by holding the off side of the button down for 15-20 seconds before pushing the start side. Our previous coach with the same type of generator wouldn’t start unless I did this. I think of this like waiting for the engine glow plug light to go out before starting the coach engine. Maybe not a perfect analogy but it works and satisfies my flawed thought processes.

First time I hear diesel needs priming? Our diesels have a glow plug to initiate combustion at start. Than compression heat does the rest.
That’s why we wait for the curly simbol (electric glow plug) on the dash to disappear before cranking the engine.
the generator does it automatically. Just hold the top end of the key down until it starts. The delay is caused by the glow plug heating up before the starter kicks in.

I believe Buly has it right. The prime and glow plug are automatically initiated when the switch is pressed. That accounts for the delay in starting.

TJ

Awesome. Thank you.

I learned something today...I currently have a gas coach and have to prime it, sometime a lot before it will turn over. Looking forward to the diesel come February...

On our former Monaco coach, the Onan generator started very quickly. Two to five seconds. On my Dutch Star, it took a lot longer. 10 seconds plus. I asked Newmar about it and they said that was normal. Just be patient. It never failed to start.[emoji16]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On my new Canyon Star, the "prime" is built into the "Start" button. Push it, light comes on, it turns over a couple times then starts! Actually quicker to start than on my '04 Mountain Aire. Always had to push the prime button on it, for about 10 seconds, and it would start right up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back