Forest River
RV Model
Salem FSX 270RTK-X
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2022 Ford Expedition Timberline
Fulltimer
Yes
Tropical Storm #9, which should be getting named a hurricane in less than 3 days, could end up chasing us back out of Florida.

We planned our 2022 travels so we could be down here on our leased lot from September through next May. Now at least two of the models have it as a cat-2 coming within 75 miles of us. Still early, maybe it will be downgraded and stay a couple hundred miles away.

Well that stinks!

A couple of years ago, we made a run to Blue Water Key, which we had book a year earlier. And yep, sure as rain, a hurricane made it's way through the area. Weather got nasty, but we forged on anyway. Trish was hiding in the back of our Phaeton as I was white knuckling it across the bridges. Don't care to do that again.

I just got a hurricane preparedness email from The Glades Resort, first one I've ever got so I guess they figure there's a good chance of this being serious. I've got friends that went early and are already down there, don't know what their plans are. We're almost 60 miles inland from Ft. Myers, not sure how much it would dissipate going over land that far.
Well my 16 ft box trailer is anchored down good and I'm 1100-1200 miles away so I guess I'll just watch and pray.
1663945223662.png

Planning on arriving at our Fort Myers winter spot on 10/15, hopefully no major clean up needed at my site. Had the coconuts removed a month ago, so no missiles to worry about at least.

New models show it hitting more north towards the panhandle, but no one really knows for sure.

Yeah, I have been following closely. Not wishing bad on anyone, but grateful it appears to be headed away from rather than toward.

Jim, I actually got written up by the HOA over coconuts this summer (hurricane season). They require them to be removed by June to avoid becoming airborne missiles in the event of a hurricane. Something my previous socal HOA never mentioned!

Two days ago I would have bet money on Ian going to the panhandle. Of course since that time we have re-packed and vacated our winter spot.

Yesterday morning we were pretty much done with our preparations. When they announced that over 300,000 folks needed to leave the Tampa area we hooked up and pulled out as quickly as possible. Even leaving at 1pm the traffic on I-75 had already built up and it took us almost 7 hours to get out of Florida (from Frostproof - 215 miles). The idiot drivers were our in full force, weaving in and out....slamming their brakes on....etc.

But we pulled into a nice CG in southern AL before it was too late and will ride it out here.

Hope anyone still in Florida stays safe. As of this morning looks like this one will cause some pretty bad damage.

Latest resources

Back