Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
Cummins / I6 Diesel Pusher 600HP / 1,950 ft-lbs
TOW/TOAD
2016 Jeep Rubicon
Fulltimer
No
It’s a bit late in life, but now that I’m a Class A luxury coach owner, I feel a bit of culture is in order. 😊 So I asked my friend Jim (@TJ&LadyDi) for some help picking out an good, yet not overly expensive, red wine that can be enjoyed with friends.

He suggested I look for a Pinot Noir, as it can be reasonably priced and a good choice for the occasion. As luck would have it, a quick search on this site for “wine”, also brought up the same recommendation by @J&JD. So today, while browsing the wine sector of our local Ingles grocery store, I stumbled upon this bottle of Pinot Noir.

It was completely misplaced and must have been randomly put back on the shelf by a shopper who had second thoughts about the purchase. But I saw it as a good omen, and it quickly found a place in my basket.

We just opened the bottle and it’s really quite nice. It’s been aged 75 days in a brandy barrel and according to the label, it has a “Lush and Jammy with salted caramel note.” Which I can attest to! I know nothing about the winery, but the wine seems like a nice “first step” in my education of enjoyable red wines.

Please feel free to add your favorite wines to this thread. The more culture, the better, right? lol

DSCN0246.JPG

You are going to regret you ever heard of me. I can run up a very nice bill for you. California produces wonderful red wines but so does Oregon ( more whites) and Washington but Argentina and Spain produce very formidable reds at a reasonable price. Can I get that RTN and account number please? JK. Are you more a Cabernet and Zin drinker (heavy tannins and a strong finish) or do you prefer softer Pinot noir type wines. Recommendations can be provided. Better yet, why not set the gps on that LADP heading west towards us and I can promise damage to your wallet and liver. We could do a rv wine tour and pack that LADP full of wine cases to take home.

Better yet, why not set the gps on that LADP heading west towards us and I can promise damage to your wallet and liver. We could do a rv wine tour and pack that LADP full of wine cases to take home.
Lord, I'd love to Sheridany. But the GPS I'm using had me going in circles on the way to NIRVC yesterday, so its unlikely it would ever successfully guide me all the way to Calif. :)

But I'm open to receiving care packages via UPS. :)

Lord, I'd love to Sheridany. But the GPS I'm using had me going in circles on the way to NIRVC yesterday, so its unlikely it would ever successfully guide me all the way to Calif. :)
Not to worry. @Neal has got your back as he will be leading his winter wonderland caravan tour so tag along but remind him that’s there’s snow only in certain parts of CA. He might not be aware of that minor fact.

It’s a bit late in life, but now that I’m a Class A luxury coach owner, I feel a bit of culture is in order. 😊 So I asked my friend Jim (@TJ&LadyDi) for some help picking out an good, yet not overly expensive, red wine that can be enjoyed with friends.

He suggested I look for a Pinot Noir, as it can be reasonably priced and a good choice for the occasion. As luck would have it, a quick search on this site for “wine”, also brought up the same recommendation by @J&JD. So today, while browsing the wine sector of our local Ingles grocery store, I stumbled upon this bottle of Pinot Noir.

It was completely misplaced and must have been randomly put back on the shelf by a shopper who had second thoughts about the purchase. But I saw it as a good omen, and it quickly found a place in my basket.

We just opened the bottle and it’s really quite nice. It’s been aged 75 days in a brandy barrel and according to the label, it has a “Lush and Jammy with salted caramel note.” Which I can attest to! I know nothing about the winery, but the wine seems like a nice “first step” in my education of enjoyable red wines.

Please feel free to add your favorite wines to this thread. The more culture, the better, right? lol

View attachment 16413
Hi, Jim.

Your Cooper & Thief Pinot Noir is actually from a small coastal California winery (Meiomi Wines) that was recently purchased by a large wine reseller, Constellation Brands, The actual wine is a blend of Pinot Noir grapes from several coastal California growing regions.

The pros are that it is modestly priced and can be a decent vintage. The cons are that there will probably be a wide quality variation in each vintage because the operation buys grapes or grape juice on the open market rather than grow their own. Additionally, when a large reseller controls production and branding, you can’t be sure of future availability or quality.

Glad you liked what you found, Oregon produces some nice Pinot Noirs and you might see if you can find one from Erath Cellars or Willamette Valley Vineyards, They should be in the $20 a bottle price range and are pretty consistently good. YMMV

TJ

Pinot Noir is by far our favorite wine as it compliments virtually every meal. California and Oregon make, in our opinion, the best of the best Pino‘s. We could give you a list of our favorites but it is so subjective. Go on line and pick 10 of the suggested best and enjoy the experience of trying our countries wonderful bounty of goodness.

Hi Jim:

One of my favorites Red Wines for years is Louis Jadot beaujolais. I am a sucker for French wines. It is a fresh wine and usually is one or two years old. It won't break the bank, usually around $18 to $20 bucks a bottle. The magnum bottles are usually around $45.00 to $50.00 Open it up and let it breathe for five minutes or more.

I also like Italian Red Wine...LOL For family gatherings Furtissomo is hard to beat, It's about $21.00 for less than a liter jug.

Cheers.........

HH

Wherever we travel in the states I like to look for wineries. What I have found is that there are more (as @TJ&LadyDi mentioned) resellers that go buy a 100+ gal tank of wine from their supply chain and bottle it themselves, with their own labels. Some buy several tanks and blend them and others bottle the pure juice of fruit juice they bought, like blueberry, raspberry, etc.
@Jim If you have a Total Wine and Spirit store near you, they have 2 aisles dedicated just to Pinot Noirs. I started at one end and stated browsing and buying, never making it to the end of one aisle. One common theme was Willamette Valley Oregon seems to be a place where the better tasting Pinot Noir comes from.

Prior to full timing a retail liquor store used to post Wine Spectator Ratings on many of the wines he sold. IMHO anything rated 90 and above will be a good bottle.

We like Pinot Noir’s more than any other red wine. Sidiri Wines have been consistently the best wines we have tasted. We finally joined their club in order to “sample” the different regions they offer. BUT… we also try different red wines at the wineries we visit in Texas and Washington. Some good, some not so good.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back