• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Ham (2m/70cm) + GMRS Antenna for the RV

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Which antenna does he use? This may be the way to go.

2019 DSDP 4369 * Active Air * NHSO
I went through our emails and here was his latest answer.
"For 2M and 440 I like the glass mount. Easy to mount and no holes to drill and works very well. Wal Mart has them on the web site but I am not real happy with WM right now and their no open carry policy, Home Depot carries them on the web site. And HRO."

I'll check with him on the exact name that he bought but I get the impression that just about any of them are OK. Pick the one with the most gain in the price range you're looking for, and of course the size that fits, and run with it.

But as I said, I'll email him now for the exact one he bought.

Just an FYI. Home Depot, Walmart, and the others don't actually sell Ham Radio Antenna's in their stores. But you can get them on their Internet presence. I bought a Tram a few years ago, think I got it from Home Depot, and it turned out to be a super antenna. Rivals the Diamond at half the price, actually was 6' longer, more gain, and it's still hanging in the tree out back.

I'll check with him on the exact name that he bought but I get the impression that just about any of them are OK.
@redbaron, heard from John and he said it's a "Tram 144/440 mhz pre tuned glass mount" He said he didn't see a model # on it. I've got a Tram for my base station and it works great. I would expect the same quality/performance from their mobile antenna's as well.

I Plan to mount mine (ngp Diamond 5/8 wave) on the ladder and run the coax under the MH to the front somewhere. I never had as good performance through the glass as with outside antennas with coax directly connected. Remember, running mobile you will often be in compromised areas for both Tx & Rx.

This is an old thread but thinking to add a GMRS handheld to the collection of radio. I’m a General Ham but think the flexibility of the GMRS is helpful.
find mounting an antenna on the RV problematic but probably will use handheld radios if traveling.

This is the GMRS radio I am considering but might prefer Rugged, Uniden or Midland (Rugged made in ?? others Unfortunately all made in China)

Or

Last edited:
find mounting an antenna on the RV problematic but probably will use handheld radios if traveling.
I attached a Tram 18" dual band 70cm/2m NMO antenna to the driver side mirror. It works well enough when driving or when stationary. The cable goes into the mirror arm, sealed with a grommet, and through the sidewall with the mirror wires terminating at the center of the dash where the radio is mounted.

Attachments

• Antenna.jpg
    Antenna.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 4
After much discussion with my local Ham buddies, and much searching on the Internet on topic, I have decided to use both Ham, mostly for entertainment, and in case a SHTF, AND GMRS for local communication with family and friends.

Added the GMRS license to my collection of various licenses. After many hours of trying to use a PC, Apple Air, Ipad, etc, on the FCC websites, I obtained the GMRS license from FCC using my iPhone.
The iPhone connected almost immediately, and clicked through the process in a matter of minutes. (as it should be).

Read the law on using HAM radio to TX on GMRS freq. Too easy and not legal....no go.

So a Chinese GMRS radio, or 收音机, is on its way. I'll have to brush up on my ChinLish to figure out the radio instruction, I am sure.

I'll report back on my experience on the road with the GMRS.

FWIW, here's the antenna I recently put on top of my Minnie Winnie. It's a Comet SBB-2 which is basically a 19 inch quarter wave on 2m. That's a magnetic mount on a metal plate taped down to the fiberglass roof with some radials. After some adjustments, SWR is good on both 2m and 70cm. Height is okay. It's only a couple of inches higher than the A/C unit. I haven't mounted the radio up front. It's just for use in the "house" while stationary as a fun toy if things get boring while camping. The general coverage receiver might be useful for listening around.

I've been a ham for over 50 years although not very active for a while. I recently got a 2m / 70cm Yaesu FTM-6000R to use in the RV and as a base station at home. It works well and I can hit numerous repeaters here in southern NH but not a lot of human activity. Not like the 1970s and 80s where almost every man and his dog was on 2m. Now it seems like almost every man and his dog runs a repeater with nobody to use it. :)

Attachments

• 20230709_150341.jpg
    20230709_150341.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 5

Latest resources

Back