Chassis
Spartan
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2018 Ford Flex
Fulltimer
No
Over the years I've done my share of household wiring; lights, wall switches, sockets, etc. Mostly I've learned by watching electricians. Unfortunately many times you miss the "why" of certain techniques. Like twisting wires together for stress relief.

Honestly electricity is something respect greatly. It is prone to insidious errors that can bite you.

You can always see previous homeowners DIY "work". With our current home we've not found many problems as the previous owner was the original owner of new construction. Usually by the five year ownership in previous homes, most of the previous homeowner tinkering has been found and addressed.
At year ten, most any adjustments, modifications have been complete. Now it is just maintenance, where we are now.

The RV is a completely different story....

Being the perpetual student, I am open to learning the details of any trade. Hoping that it will improve my efforts.

Here are some tips on household wire connections.

Over the years I've done my share of household wiring; lights, wall switches, sockets, etc. Mostly I've learned by watching electricians. Unfortunately many times you miss the "why" of certain techniques. Like twisting wires together for stress relief.

Honestly electricity is something respect greatly. It is prone to insidious errors that can bite you.

You can always see previous homeowners DIY "work". With our current home we've not found many problems as the previous owner was the original owner of new construction. Usually by the five year ownership in previous homes, most of the previous homeowner tinkering has been found and addressed.
At year ten, most any adjustments, modifications have been complete. Now it is just maintenance, where we are now.

The RV is a completely different story....

Being the perpetual student, I am open to learning the details of any trade. Hoping that it will improve my efforts.

Here are some tips on household wire connections.

Far from enough information!

So stab in is likely the most used device. I don't waste my money on the over built devices, nor do most professionals. Here are some more tips based on the idea that if you watched this, you may want to dig right in and fix your own stuff!

1) never use the stab in feature in a moving structure. The screw should be your only option, and twisting around the screw is not an option on some high end devices.
2) never use the device for a daisy chain connection, with one exception, a GFIC daisy chain.
3) on the higher priced device, don't attempt to connect dissimilar wire size under the same screw (ever)!
4) never attempt to put stranded wire under a screw terminal.

Reasons for this advice!!!

1)Movement no matter how slight will work a wire out of the device.
2)when stringing several devices together (Daisy chain). Tie the wires in the box by twisting wires together using a wire nut, connecting the device with a pigtail (short connection wire). This will reduce effort required in the future, when replacing the device, AND!!! Doing this will reduce drastically failure due to opens.

3) so the expensive devices are designed to, first and foremost, save time. And when your lucky that may be true. However the above procedure, is the best way to put dissimilar sized wires together is wire nuts.

One last point, except those points I forgot!
You will not encounter a hotter fire than an electrical fire! You either have this, or you don't.
Because factory built houses are not inspected by an independent inspector they really are a buyer beware product. The components are UL approved, but the system in total is not!

Though my suggestion would be to leave electrical to a pro, that can be a real serious problem! Pros have a 4 year training program under a journeyman. I don't know for sure, but wonder if most RVtechs have such qualifications. I personally would never work on one that was not mine! Mostly because I could fix one problem, but that would not fix all the problems that show their ugly head as a result of no accountability (lack of a 3rd party inspection)!!!

Some of the RV manufacturers are going to WAGO connectors. Having done a lot of wiring of older cars they are easy. I still like a non insulated butt connector then heat shrink. Or the new ones with the heat shrink "built in"
Amazon.com

Some of the RV manufacturers are going to WAGO connectors. Having done a lot of wiring of older cars they are easy. I still like a non insulated butt connector then heat shrink. Or the new ones with the heat shrink "built in"
Amazon.com
I'm liking the wago! Reminds me of a zero insertion force socket. I have little use for butt splices! That is more akin to not using any glue on a sewer pipe! Of 90% of the 12v stuff I have troubleshot, it has lead back to butt connectors. On a 115vac system the thoughts running through my mind is very unsettling. As for what is to code? My instructor, when an apprentice, burned one thought in my mind! " the NEC sets a minimum standard for the industry ", my boss continually told me how to circumvent it. I think "beer 30" is how the inspector complied with the bosses wishes. We will never know!!! For me, I chose the path less traveled, and slept at night!!! With that insight into my being, it becomes obvious to many, why I open up everything looking for hidden shortcuts taken by lazy people in everything I buy. It helps me sleep at night!!!

I'm liking the wago! Reminds me of a zero insertion force socket. I have little use for butt splices! That is more akin to not using any glue on a sewer pipe! Of 90% of the 12v stuff I have troubleshot, it has lead back to butt connectors. On a 115vac system the thoughts running through my mind is very unsettling. As for what is to code? My instructor, when an apprentice, burned one thought in my mind! " the NEC sets a minimum standard for the industry ", my boss continually told me how to circumvent it. I think "beer 30" is how the inspector complied with the bosses wishes. We will never know!!! For me, I chose the path less traveled, and slept at night!!! With that insight into my being, it becomes obvious to many, why I open up everything looking for hidden shortcuts taken by lazy people in everything I buy. It helps me sleep at night!!!
I only use butt connectors on 12v. Having had to trace shorts and issues when an amateur wired his car, 9x out of 10 it was because he soldered the connection and did a poor job.
These WAGOs are nice as I used them in a Swift LI van I recently had. Added some power points and the work looked factory.

I only use butt connectors on 12v. Having had to trace shorts and issues when an amateur wired his car, 9x out of 10 it was because he soldered the connection and did a poor job.
These WAGOs are nice as I used them in a Swift LI van I recently had. Added some power points and the work looked factory.
I have a box of them but seldom use them. I have been thinking of putting together a wire spot welder. That would be the cats meow.

I would not use the stab connectirs ever. At one house I saw one completely pull out and just sitting in thebwall. The only clue was a hit skin on the rv. That could have been quite injurious under the right circumstances. Later, one circuit (different from the first went out. It turns out that another wire in a stab connection was loose. It singed the end of the insulation. Thank God it did not start a fire.

I have never had a wire nut do this when installed correctly. I started using the wago until I saw these failures. Since I live in earthquake country I not not sure I trust these.
1708976301727.png

Yep, I had wago's do that too. I tried using them in my OASIS rewire. Granted, I may not have checked the proper sizing of the wago for the wiring, I don't remember, but yes, I had a short as well.

I have never had a wire nut do this when installed correctly. I started using the wago until I saw these failures. Since I live in earthquake country I not not sure I trust these.
View attachment 22932
I have seen this before, that's why I only use for low amperage like a 12v powerport. This is one of the reasons I still like butt connectors but I only use high quality connectors. I use to sell them as part of a business and I would only sell quality. Some folks use the ones they buy at harbor freight, you can crimp those with your teeth. I would like to know what these folks were using the wagos for, what amperage, length of run etc

Latest resources

Back