Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
Thank you Comfort Drive (on max) and also HWH Active Air doing it's thing, some winds even put Active Air into fly mode (super stiff ride). Was quite a challenge driving east to the Houston area with these cross winds, I'm sure there's worse and will be worse but this was the worst I've experienced.

“Hellacious wins in Tx today”
@Neal , I thought the primaries were over there already or were you at the track?

Busted - corrected, nap time. Thanks

Hit 80+ mph winds on Interstate 80 near Cheyenne Wy last October. Neither Comfort Drive or Active Air or driving 20mph helped. Got off in Cheyenne along with hundreds of truckers. Seriously scary driving. Interstate ended up closed overnight as several were blown over. Sometimes Mother Nature wins no matter how good your equipment is.

Hit 80+ mph winds on Interstate 80 near Cheyenne Wy last October. Neither Comfort Drive or Active Air or driving 20mph helped. Got off in Cheyenne along with hundreds of truckers. Seriously scary driving. Interstate ended up closed overnight as several were blown over. Sometimes Mother Nature wins no matter how good your equipment is.
We are very familiar with the Wyoming winds, having driven I-80 and I-25 numerous times. When crosswinds get to 50 mph, we look for a sheltered place to park until they subside.

A few years back, we got caught out on I-25 north of Cheyenne in our 2014 Ventana LE 3436 with crosswinds gusting to 70 mph (according to the electronic highway sign)...and no place to pull off. That's a pretty lonely stretch of road! We passed several truck-and-trailer combos with the rear trailer on its side. It was a white-knuckle ride until we finally found a sheltered spot to pull off. Not something for the faint-of-heart.

I will say that the Comfort Drive did make life a lot easier. It didn't totally negate the crosswinds, but it did really help me keep things on the straight-and-narrow.

TJ

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back