Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

BajaWinters

RVF Regular
Exploring Baja, or somewhere else in the summer.
RV Year
RV Make
OutdoorsRV
RV Model
21TRX
RV Length
Fulltimer
Yes
Tammy and I retired to full time on a 50' catamaran sailing to wherever our dreams took us. Well that wound up as a year cruising the Bahamas before we figured out that sailing was way too much work. We sold the boat and bought a truck and trailer to explore our land based dreams.

One of those was to explore Baja with our 5th wheel. So we hired a caravan company to show us the ropes.. 3 days into the trip we loved Baja so much that we bought the tour company when the owner offered. So now we get to share Baja with a select few people every winter, and goof off somewhere else in the summer when it's too hot down there.

If you have any questions about RVing Baja, just hit us up. We love to share!

Welcome from Georgia!

We have great memories of our time with BAJA WINTERS. What a great introduction to Mexico. Hope you are enjoying your new jobs. We would love to repeat the tour again someday.

Thanks for the report.

We have great memories of our time with BAJA WINTERS. What a great introduction to Mexico. Hope you are enjoying your new jobs. We would love to repeat the tour again someday.

Thanks for the report.
Awesome... Now we are curious as to which trip you ran, and give us a clue who you are :)

You know Baja Winters alumni get discounts on return trips, right?

Awesome... Now we are curious as to which trip you ran, and give us a clue who you are :)

You know Baja Winters alumni get discounts on return trips, right?

Heh heh. Good to hear. We did a tour with John and Becky about 10 years ago or so. Our first time in Mexico. We learned enough in that three months to tour 25 of the 31 Mexican states over the following two years. (3 months each winter). We learned to speak Spanish and are now fluent. Love the culture and the people. And it all started with Bajawinters.

We may be camping in Puerta Penasco next winter for a bit. Maybe someday we’ll do another RV tour on the Baja, and if we do we’ll certainly look you guys up. But there is going to have to be a lot more EV chargers on the route before we can do that. There are a decent amount of level 2 chargers on the route, but zero fast chargers. It’ll come.

Wishing you continued success in your endeavours.

Cuidense Amigos.

Tammy and I retired to full time on a 50' catamaran sailing to wherever our dreams took us. Well that wound up as a year cruising the Bahamas before we figured out that sailing was way too much work. We sold the boat and bought a truck and trailer to explore our land based dreams.

One of those was to explore Baja with our 5th wheel. So we hired a caravan company to show us the ropes.. 3 days into the trip we loved Baja so much that we bought the tour company when the owner offered. So now we get to share Baja with a select few people every winter, and goof off somewhere else in the summer when it's too hot down there.

Hi BajaWinters, your life sounds amazing....I can only dream. :) I had posted to this forum for the first time about the time you did and I just wanted to see if I could get some tips from you. This is my original post:

I am just starting to plan a 2 week trip in May from Colorado with our truck and camper trailer down to Mexico into Baja California. We have about 7 years of experience with our camper but have not ventured any further than our own and surrounding states and wondering if I could get some tips for traveling into Mexico. I am aware of passport, document, and insurance needs prior to travel, but am having difficulty even coming up with a basic route from Tijuana to take. Any tips from experienced Mexico travelers would be appreciated:
Is May a good time to go?l
Do you know of any good websites with up-to-date RV park info?
Should we go to the ocean side or the gulf side?
Any great RV parks you are aware of?
Any safety tips you could offer?
Any places or sites that we cannot miss?
I think that would be a great start and I appreciate anyone who is able to take some time to jot down some notes!
thank you!

Hi BajaWinters, your life sounds amazing....I can only dream. :) I had posted to this forum for the first time about the time you did and I just wanted to see if I could get some tips from you. This is my original post:

I am just starting to plan a 2 week trip in May from Colorado with our truck and camper trailer down to Mexico into Baja California. We have about 7 years of experience with our camper but have not ventured any further than our own and surrounding states and wondering if I could get some tips for traveling into Mexico. I am aware of passport, document, and insurance needs prior to travel, but am having difficulty even coming up with a basic route from Tijuana to take. Any tips from experienced Mexico travelers would be appreciated:
Is May a good time to go?l
Do you know of any good websites with up-to-date RV park info?
Should we go to the ocean side or the gulf side?
Any great RV parks you are aware of?
Any safety tips you could offer?
Any places or sites that we cannot miss?
I think that would be a great start and I appreciate anyone who is able to take some time to jot down some notes!
thank you!
I've been traveling down The Baja for over thirty years. I'm presently in a Pueblo about 900 miles south of the border doing Baja in an off road car. We started at the border at Tecate and plan to end at the tip in Cabo.
To me the four best months to travel here is April,May,October and November.
First thing I would do is go to Baja Nomads website just like you did here to learn more about Rvs. you can do searches and down load all kinds of stuff along with maps of almost every road and trail you could wish for. I seldom ask questions since most things I can think of has already been discussed so I can find the info i need from past post. mainly I do this because there can be some very rude goats that just piss me off.
Ocean side or gulf side? yes
If you enter thru Tj down Mex 1 it meanders down both sides. If you enter through Mexicali you run down Mex 5 and eventually merge into Mex 1 if you travel far enough south.
Rv parks. You will find a few parks here and there but the best places are lots of spots where you will dry camp on the beach. Lots of these are from free to under 20 bucks a night. No hook ups but the views and having a secluded beach to your self can't be beat.
Safety, I never leave home in the states without my gun. I can not bring it and never would to Mexico and after thirty years I've never felt a need for one like I do especially when I have to travel thru Calif. to get down here. You will find from flat tires to running out of gas the locals can not do enough to help you. They will never lock their car door and speed by they always stop to help.
Places to see. How much time toileting you have? My first planned trip to the tip after five weeks I didn't get past Loreto. Theres so many awesome beaches, swimming with whale sharks, fishing,taco stands, Missions, mountains, deserts and Pueblos. I'm still finding new and great places.
The number one thing I recommend to everyone you need to do the end of Feb. or first week in March is to come down and do a whale tour. If timed right I have every trip (about 15 of them) been able to play and pet 15 ft baby gray whales and their 30ft long mothers. Its not like anything you have ever experienced before.
Anyway this is a little long and generally I warn people to stay away because to me the less gringos in the Baja the better for me.

I've been traveling down The Baja for over thirty years. I'm presently in a Pueblo about 900 miles south of the border doing Baja in an off road car. We started at the border at Tecate and plan to end at the tip in Cabo.
To me the four best months to travel here is April,May,October and November.
First thing I would do is go to Baja Nomads website just like you did here to learn more about Rvs. you can do searches and down load all kinds of stuff along with maps of almost every road and trail you could wish for. I seldom ask questions since most things I can think of has already been discussed so I can find the info i need from past post. mainly I do this because there can be some very rude goats that just piss me off.
Ocean side or gulf side? yes
If you enter thru Tj down Mex 1 it meanders down both sides. If you enter through Mexicali you run down Mex 5 and eventually merge into Mex 1 if you travel far enough south.
Rv parks. You will find a few parks here and there but the best places are lots of spots where you will dry camp on the beach. Lots of these are from free to under 20 bucks a night. No hook ups but the views and having a secluded beach to your self can't be beat.
Safety, I never leave home in the states without my gun. I can not bring it and never would to Mexico and after thirty years I've never felt a need for one like I do especially when I have to travel thru Calif. to get down here. You will find from flat tires to running out of gas the locals can not do enough to help you. They will never lock their car door and speed by they always stop to help.
Places to see. How much time toileting you have? My first planned trip to the tip after five weeks I didn't get past Loreto. Theres so many awesome beaches, swimming with whale sharks, fishing,taco stands, Missions, mountains, deserts and Pueblos. I'm still finding new and great places.
The number one thing I recommend to everyone you need to do the end of Feb. or first week in March is to come down and do a whale tour. If timed right I have every trip (about 15 of them) been able to play and pet 15 ft baby gray whales and their 30ft long mothers. Its not like anything you have ever experienced before.
Anyway this is a little long and generally I warn people to stay away because to me the less gringos in the Baja the better for me.

Amigobaja, thank you so much for passing on some of your extensive knowledge! I do my due diligence and start digging thru the forums for more information and will check out the Baja Nomad website. Your advice is much appreciated.

Thanks again,
Rubyselbow
:)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back