Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

vintshave

RVF Regular
Hi. I have serious trailer light gremlins. All the electrical signals from my car's 4 pin connector are coming out fine. Here are my observations:

1) When headlights are on, all passenger side lights are solid on, taillight.
2) When passenger light signal light is on, only the taillight signal flashes. The other ones are solid on.
3)The drivers side tail light is out all the time as a running light. It does, however, work for signalling and braking.
4) When driver signal lights are on, all driver side lights flash
5) When brake is depressed, all drivers side lights brighten.
6) I am not finding any broken connections when I inspect the wiring.

HELP PLEASE!

White is ground. Even if the chassis is ground through the ball make sure it is connected. One wire is for running lights, and tail lights(the low wattage light on tail light).
The two remaining wires power turn signals and brake lights. There is no different wire for brake or turn. Left wire is left lights (brake/turn). Right wire is (brake/turn) for right side.

That is everything in a nut shell. You need to hook up each wire individually, and forget the truth table, it serves to confuse.

Not just you, but us! Remember most of us are just old facts trying to help!

On the drivers side, the wires are backwards. Brake/turn signal wire is running the tail/parking/marker lights. And vice versa. Find the error where these wires are hooked up most likely at the front of the trailer.

White is ground. Even if the chassis is ground through the ball make sure it is connected. One wire is for running lights, and tail lights(the low wattage light on tail light).
The two remaining wires power turn signals and brake lights. There is no different wire for brake or turn. Left wire is left lights (brake/turn). Right wire is (brake/turn) for right side.

That is everything in a nut shell. You need to hook up each wire individually, and forget the truth table, it serves to confuse.

Not just you, but us! Remember most of us are just old facts trying to help!
Guess I'm going to have to trace the signal through a long length of wire. Either that or replace the wire completely to the point where it enters the trailer body and solder it to the existing wire. It is a bit of a wiring mess inside the trailer, although that may not be the cause, so I may just rewire everything - although this is a problem because a bunch of the wiring is behind the wooden trailer interior walls. I just really hate poor wire connections.

Before you tear into the walls, replace that driver's side tail/stop/turn lamp. If that doesn't do it, then do what you gotta do.

Roger

I would use a flat connector testing plug to verify it's not the tow vehicle first.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back