Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4326
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2020 Ford F-150
Fulltimer
Yes
Hey All Electric owners that carry a propane firepit, what kind of propane tank are you carrying?

We haven’t invested in a firepit yey, usually using the campground provided fire ring when available but there have been a bunch of times when I wanted a fire, but there was no fire ring. I myself prefer a wood fire. I love the smell, the increased heat the crackling and ambiance of it, but that’s just me. At the same time, we’ve not gone West yet and I know that there are quite a few restrictions out there and typically, your only option for a fire out there is propane. I’ve heard that sometimes BBQs aren’t even allowed (*GASP*).

So I started looking for a what I would call a wood/propane hybrid firepit. One firepit that can burn wood or propane. Amazingly, there almost nonexistent - but I did find a one that really appealed to me. The Stahl Firepit. Not only can it do both, but it breaks down completely flat! It’s a bit large but if it breaks down flat, that’s not really a huge deal if you ask me. So I’m almost certain I’m going to purchase this but then I come across the conundrum of a propane tank. I really don’t want to carry one just for a fire. It would literally serve no other purpose for me as I would never, ever purchase a gas grill (again, just a personal preference).

So here’s the question. If you’re in this same boat, carrying a propane tank that is solely used for your firepit, how big is your tank and how long does it typically last? Obviously, my mileage will vary but I’m trying to get an idea of what size would give me 2-5 fires before I have to refill.

I carry a 20lbs tank for use with the Outland Firebowl I purchased at Costco. It was recommended by @ARD sometime ago, I think mine is a different size. I wanted 19” but couldn’t pass on the price of 21” that Costco had, $99. You can see it is 58,000btu unit and if I have at mid-point it will last 4-5 nights, if full on I think I get 2 nights. I couldn’t see rating on the one you are looking at so can’t guess how long it would last.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073SMX1TC/?tag=rvf01-20

I prefer a real fire but have found a lot of place have restrictions but haven’t found any place that won’t allow the gas firebowl.

Full size tank like used for grilling at home. I have a smaller tank that I carry (11 lbs I think) which is fine but the firepit can use quite a bit but @NWIP told me he sets his firepit around medium and it lasts longer. If you're at a CG that can easily refill it then it's moot. If you can fit a full size I recommend it.

Use same fire bowl, just have 2 4.5 lbs tanks that fit back by engine. Small tanks great for grill, however, basically one/two night fire pit per tank.

@Neal and @NWIP, where do you stow your propane tank?

i think I’d be okay with a couple of 4.5# tanks like @boomer. 1-2 fires per tank wouldn’t upset me as long I could refill them. An 11#er would be the same but two 4.5#er seems like it would give me a bit more flexibility with storage. Though I’d probably have the change tanks mid fire on my second use of a tank. So annoying

Last edited:
I bought the bag for it so I store it on its side in the back of the bay just forward of the pegboard. I think. Maybe it’s horizontal right now. I’ve moved it around. The bag is good as it keeps the rock dust contained.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IFP5N7G/?tag=rvf01-20

I carry mine in the back of toad (Colorado) which I have a cap on. I strap it in and with the base I made it doesn’t go anywhere

Attachments

• A3C5522E-2CE9-4DFE-8D8B-122680AD0856.jpeg
    A3C5522E-2CE9-4DFE-8D8B-122680AD0856.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 18
I typically store it in the basement as I do have room (shocking) but at times I have kept it in the back of the toad bed too.

I bought the bag for it so I store it on its side in the back of the bay just forward of the pegboard. I think. Maybe it’s horizontal right now. I’ve moved it around. The bag is good as it keeps the rock dust contained.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IFP5N7G/?tag=rvf01-20
The bag is great. I store mine in the far corner of pull out tray. Also I have quick disconnect on both Grill and Pit so changing easy. Put disconnects on with Canyon Star so I could use big tank, just left them on the two pieces....

Latest resources

Back