Newmar
RV Model
Dutch Star
RV Length
44'
TOW/TOAD
JL Wrangler
I have a 21 Dutch 4326

House batteries are good. Will run lights in house. But fridge/tv will not turn on unless I have generator running or I’m on shore power.

When plugging in. I can hear the “ clunk “ of the transfer switch. Which is how it’s always been.

I have two GFI that seem to be tripping ( 2 times each in 900 mile trip ) the one does have the tv on it.

And the power control system is telling me wiring status error. I’m thankfully still operational. We are at Fort Wilderness and just getting myself ready to look at this when we get home in a few days.

Sadly the coach did sit for a while as we didn’t have time to use it. It sat plugged in the entire time. Indoors. No rodents etc.

Thanks in advance.

Whats the status of your inverter?

Whats the status of your inverter?
I’m plugged in now. But I thought about that after I posed. Would the lights still work with no inverter. I’m a little rusty since I didn’t live in this for 12/15 months.

We had a crankcase sensor fail on the way here. Slowed us down 1.5 days.

So I’m gunshy to unplug and try anything. It’s my luck that it won’t lower back up 🫣

Check you converter, check you battery connections, check your battery with a proper amp draw test, and check all grounds. When plugged in and on the genny, you will have the converter running and proper 12v DC. When unplugged and working off the battery, low voltage will cause these issues. The lights are not a good indicator of battery power. And you might read proper voltage but it could be a surface charge or if you are reading off the battery posts, a bad connection or ground will not be detected.

In addition to the above, it’s important to note that neither your fridge nor your TV will work without getting power from your inverter while unplugged. Your microwave is probably non-responsive as well. I would first suspect a breaker at the inverter.

I will once again, go in another direction!

How old, and of what type, are the batteries?

This question includes if 12v or 6v, as that may make a difference.

In addition to the above, it’s important to note that neither your fridge nor your TV will work without getting power from your inverter while unplugged. Your microwave is probably non-responsive as well. I would first suspect a breaker at the inverter.
That or the inverter is off at the ME-RC.

I’m plugged in now. But I thought about that after I posed. Would the lights still work with no inverter. I’m a little rusty since I didn’t live in this for 12/15 months.

So I’m gunshy to unplug and try anything. It’s my luck that it won’t lower back up 🫣
Yes the lights and anything else that is 12v will work without the inverter but the items you mentioned, as well as the microwave and outlets, will only work if the inverter is functioning.

Lights are 12 volt and will run, Check inverter and see if you tripped a breaker on it. My inverter has three breakers on it.

Latest resources

Back