Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

bluehog

RVF Newbee
I'm always tring to improve my RV experience. Currently we are using our TT for summer stays on our mountain property rather than travels to new locations. Foul smells are only issue that we run into.

Been tring to understand the physics of how the roof vent can draw vapors (stink) from the black tank when there are only two openings, one for the toilet (flush) and one for the roof vent.

Doesn't there need to be a replacement of air going into the tank for the roof vent allow vapors to exit? As is, air must be drawning into the tank via the toilet flapper seal or when flushed (opened)? It just seems to me that there should be another opening somewhere that would allow a continuous gas exchange/circulation making the roof vent more effective. No matter how windy it is at the roof vent how can stink vapor be drawn out of the tank unless there is a replacement of equal gas volume.
What am I missing here?

You are missing nothing!!!

The difference between S&B and RV systems is a 'P'trap construction in the head itself. Some of the problem can be mitigated in one of two ways.

Maserator toilet!
A vain type vent cover!

The solution for me (not for everyone!) Is my sawdust toilet!

For a while we tried adding extra water above the toilet flap when we left the TT unattended for a week or two. The thinking was the smells were coming up thru the flap, but upon return we still had some odor, it did seem to help somewhat. That was when I started thinking about the function of the venting and realized there was no gas exchange happening, using the added water above the toilet flap (sort of simulating how a p-trap works) but with no additional venting like in the grey tank setup. This really trapped all th odors within the black tank.... first flush was nasty.... PHEW!:poop:

It seems like a small dia vent tube at end opposite the roof vent would allow some air replacement when the wind comes across the vent pipe.

This is the current vent I am using
1725285372084.png

So it occurred to me your pipe may be plugged. Some horror stories claimed that the vent pipes were never installed correctly. May serve you well to check out the possibility!

This is used by many full-time travelers!

You may be smelling your gray tank. There should be an air admittance valve, available at any big box store, under each sink. These go bad and the smell can be overwhelming.
1725288468693.png

You may be smelling your gray tank. There should be an air admittance valve, available at any big box store, under each sink. These go bad and the smell can be overwhelming.
Boy I agree... I think the grey tank actually smells worse because of all the dissimar organics & soaps don't play well together 😵‍💫

It's a really good idea to start with this vent cap as It can lead to a real stinker. I did replace that vent relief valve in my attempts to help please the wifey as her nose is much more sensitive than mine.

So it occurred to me your pipe may be plugged. Some horror stories claimed that the vent pipes were never installed correctly. May serve you well to check out the possibility!

This is used by many full-time travelers!

The vent pipe is clean as I verified this when I changed the to vent cap.
I will definetly check out the part you are pointing out. 👍

Also deep cleaning the tanks on a regular basis helps. Newmar recommends Aquamax, sitting in a ful tank of clean water for seven days. Then rinse. Stationary tanks are much more difficult to clean. I also use Dawn dis liquid regularly, but it is often not until I drive the coach 50-100 miles with Dawn in it that the sensors clear, indicating clean tank walls. No odor problems with this procedure. I also use Blue power after each dump. Of course no #2 goes in my tank, but I think it would be difficult to eliminate odors without RV toilet chemicals.

Like AbdRahim, We add about a 1/4 cup of Dawn (to both) about once a month when the tanks are about 3/4 full (I add water if I have to) then we drive to our next destination which is usually about three hours down the road. I finish filling the tanks on arrival then dump and my gauges always read correct. Oh and by the way, we full time so we use our toilet for...........everyting.

Darrell

The vent is not for continuous air circulation. On the black tank system, it is to draw air in when you dump and to let air out when you flush. Similar on the gray tank, but also to protect the various sink traps from siphonage. On the toilet, you should always leave some amount of water over the flush flap to both help seal odors and keep the seal protected from drying out.

Latest resources

Back