RV Make
Forest RIver
RV Model
Cedar Creek Silverback 29lrbs
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
Fulltimer
No
Hi....my first question on here! We recently purchased a 2007 Forest River Cedar Creek Silverback, and currently have it parked inside our RV garage. While running the furnace, we noticed a strong gas smell in the garage, even with the 16 ft door open, and 2 open garage vents. At first, we just thought it was because it is still mostly contained within the garage, but then we decided to turn off that tank and try the other one....no gas smell this time, so we obviously have a leak in the other one! We have family coming for Christmas who plan to stay in the 5th wheel, so we're concerned the heat may not last for them. Any idea how long a tank will last if using for furnace only?

Hi @Charby I know I am almost out of propane when the oil scent is noticed. I typically can smell this oil a day before the tank runs dry. Your tank likely has no leak but rather it is almost empty. A tank can be re-certified at many propane re-fillers. You may have not got the hose tight enough if it is leaking.

As for how long a tank of propane will last depend on the size of the tank and the BTU of the furnace, (91,500 BTUs per gallon of propane) I am sure you can do the math.

When you say "we noticed a strong gas smell in the garage, even with the 16 ft door open, and 2 open garage vents" I say """"" stop using that furness until you find the leak"""". Squirt a small amount of dishwashing soap in a spray bottle and spray all the lines you can get to. If its leaking you will see bubbles coming from the leaking area.

You NEED to locate that leak. You REALLY, REALLY NEED to!!!!! That much of a leak can and will make your garage and probably part of the house relocate!! Far as the amount of time a tank will last, when the temps get down close to freezing at night my trailer will go through about 30 pounds (one tank) a week.

You should not plan to sleep in a garaged RV with a furnace running and dumping the products of combustion into the garage. Even with the garage door open. If you plan to use the furnace, pull the RV outside so all the products of combustion can properly disperse and not infiltrate into the RV or house. As indicated above, locate and resolve the gas odor.

SMH............. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Hi....my first question on here! We recently purchased a 2007 Forest River Cedar Creek Silverback, and currently have it parked inside our RV garage. While running the furnace, we noticed a strong gas smell in the garage, even with the 16 ft door open, and 2 open garage vents. At first, we just thought it was because it is still mostly contained within the garage, but then we decided to turn off that tank and try the other one....no gas smell this time, so we obviously have a leak in the other one! We have family coming for Christmas who plan to stay in the 5th wheel, so we're concerned the heat may not last for them. Any idea how long a tank will last if using for furnace only?

You should not plan to sleep in a garaged RV with a furnace running and dumping the products of combustion into the garage. Even with the garage door open. If you plan to use the furnace, pull the RV outside so all the products of combustion can properly disperse and not infiltrate into the RV or house. As indicated above, locate and resolve the gas odor.
Thanks...

Thanks for your response, but I guess I should have been clearer. We did not plan for family to sleep in garaged RV with furnace running. We were just checking it out and noticed strong odor. Found out it's because both tanks were low. Problems solved. Thanks again.

Thanks for your response, but I guess I should have been clearer. We did not plan for family to sleep in garaged RV with furnace running. We were just checking it out and noticed strong odor. Found out it's because both tanks were low. Problems solved. Thanks again.
I have always had something like this to keep up with my tank levels. https://amzn.to/37ZZ218
It is not always possible to use them and then I use this kind. Amazon.com : Quick Connect Gas Grill Propane Gauge By Collections Etc : Grill Parts : Garden & Outdoor
The first one is always close to being correct. The 2nd one is a little off some but gives you an idea of what you have.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back