Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

How many hours/miles are you comfortable driving per day in your Class A motorhome?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I plot our trips in 300 mile segments, so 5-6 hours. That includes a rest stop or 2 plus a lunch stop (usually one of the rest stops). I get about 600 miles per half tank so I fill up every other stop (I try to stay above 1/2 tank).

I'm fine with 8-10 hrs. if we need to get somewhere. Problem is, a lot of parks over here have pretty early check-ins. Missed it a couple of times and had to find something else. Had to pay for a place I didn't stay at twice so the 6 hr. window is probably smart.

Comfortable, 3-4 hours. Have driven 8 hrs but make stops for a rest every 2 hrs or so..

We try to stick to the 300 mile limit as well. +or - depending on Campground availability. Like to be in CG by 3 pm. After 3 or 4 one and done stops, we like to take a 2 day rest stop. Helps decompress. Have made longer runs when overcome by events, but given sufficient time and planning we can make our trip goals ( 300 mile/ in by 3pm) work.

As others have said, usually about 300 miles per day.
I use the "50 mph" average, which includes rest, food, & gas stops.
So, at 50 mph x 6 hours will equal 300 miles per day.
This formula works well for me, as the DW does not drive the coach.

It depends on the trip to some degree. We're currently on a 3 month 9,000 mile cross-country trip with relatively short stays of a few days at each park so I keep the drives down to three to four hours to help avoid the cumulative fatigue. If we were heading to nearby states on a shorter trip with longer stays, I might stretch that to five to six hours. Eight is long for me. I've done twelve hours once - not fun. Weather conditions and the types of roads are also a factor. A recent rainy day through twisty mountain roads coming from Niagara Falls through upper New York state felt like a much longer trek than a drive on an interstate, although that one was 8 hours.

3-4 hours preferred here too. Like to keep it to 6 max

6 max. I have done 9-11 but I paid the price either during or after. It also depends on the time of the year and I will tell you firsthand you don't want to break the number one rule of owning an RV and that is trying to navigate into a park at night trying to find your spot. Do everything in the daylight hours. Obviously, summer lends itself to longer drive hours but I think you are not as sharp and may not make the best decision when you are tired. Take it with a grain of salt from a geezer.

General rule is 300 miles or 3:00, whichever comes first. Exceptions to that require advance planning.

Three to four hours a day. Usually three. Also we try to travel between 10:00 AM and 2:00 PM. That way we don't have to get up early and we arrive with plenty of time to set up and enjoy the evening.

Latest resources

Back