• Commercial/Vendors welcome

How much truck?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Thanks again to all for help. A coda to my truck-finding/buying experience...

For anyone who might come across this thread and is looking for a truck in 2020, a few thoughts:

Despite my [over]preparedness, I probably was overthinking this. And, any other time that would've been ok. However, I was not prepared for the current market and, in the end, had a harder time coming to a decision b/c my research, etc. could not overcome the current truck-buying environment. By this I mean, my research prepared me to choose between lots of different trucks currently available on the lot. With plants shut down for a couple/few months, new truck availability is limited. I heard many times that a truck that was "in transit" had already sold before it was even on the lot. I even expanded my range to 500 miles and STILL couldn't find what I wanted -- mind you, for a new truck, I was being a bit particular since spending that kind of $$ I didn't want to "settle". I even had a dealer out of state tell me they wouldn't even sell me the truck they had b/c they wanted to keep for their local buyers -- an understandable position, but not one I necessarily expected since car sellers are usually trying to, you know, sell the car. But in this market, there are plenty of buyers.

I had first wanted to get used, but quickly found that market not entirely ripe with options either. the USED car market is way up. in fact, Edmunds reported that in July, the price of a used large truck in particular was up around $2,500! That was the highest increase of any class. There are many explanations for why this market is the way it is, but I had not anticipated that. So, I started looking at new, but as I said above, it was also not what I expected. Mind you, there are trucks on the lot in many places. And, many of those probably would've been ok. But I just didn't want to drop $60k on a truck that I felt "meh" about. Perhaps that's stupid vanity. Oh, and thought about ordering... a GM truck is 12-16 weeks out, Ram 8-12. That might've been fine but I'm on a timeline and didn't want to risk getting the truck days before we travel -- or worse, not get it at all.

I finally found a 2019 GMC 2500 SLT diesel with just 8,000 miles. I bought it. It too does not have everything I would've wanted in a *new* vehicle, but it should do everything I need it to. So, it was a value... probably, maybe. At this point, I really sort of didn't care.
The options sure add up fast. The truck you bought will do what you want and more tinker with the exhaust brakes and trailer brakes the exhaust brakes in tow mode will really come on hard if your are not aware of them. That being said they flat will stop you, the braking with a late model duramax is the best in this class of trucks and by a fair margin. dont over buy on the DEF if you open a jug use it in a month or pour it out just my advice. I have enough of them running around I always empty the jug in another truck after its open. I also do my oil changes at 3000 this one takes a cheap oil and walmart even sells the GM filter for it. Regardless of what people say about extending your oil to longer distances. If you keep records and do your oil chaged near 3000 youll get top dollar for it when you sell it. People paying top dollar for used trucks like to see excessive oil change intervals. Congrats

Latest resources

Back