• Commercial/Vendors welcome

How much weight do you carry?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I'm a bit worried about my payload too if I'm going to try and stick with the same truck (still on the fence). But with 6 of us and only a 5 passenger truck, my wife will drive separately with as much weight as I can shove in the trunk of her car and bodies in the seats, I suspect most of this will be food & clothes. I've put together a list of stuff that I think would be the max the TT would need to have in it, covering all worst case scenerios. My truck GVWR is 5815lb and I weighed the truck with a full tank of gas + misc crap in the cab and myself at 4960lb, this was after cleaning out ~200lb of crap that rides in the bed almost in perpetuity. Looking at a number of different TT in the 4000-4500lb empty weight range leaves me a little margin up to my 6100lb tow rating. I don't intend on or need to carry water or leave anything in the grey or black tanks when traveling so the empty weight should be close but then there's everything that will live within the TT when it's "empty." I've put together a list excluding weights but I wanted to see if anyone could weigh in on whether or not this is relistic list based on experience? Anyway here is it, tell me what you think.
  1. 2x electric heater
  2. Heavier than factory mattresses
  3. Bedding
  4. Pillows
  5. Popcorn popper
  6. Waffle iron
  7. Blender
  8. Pots
  9. Pans
  10. Utensils
  11. Plates
  12. Napkins
  13. PT
  14. TP
  15. Soap
  16. Wash tubs
  17. Towels & washcloths
  18. First Aid kit
  19. DVDs + player
  20. Broom & dustpan
  21. Mop
  22. Vacuum
  23. Board games
  24. Playing cards
  25. 6x camping chairs + table
  26. Outdoor Rug
  27. Folding picnic table
  28. Camp hammocks
  29. 2x TV tray
  30. Stabilizer/tongue blocking
  31. Cords
  32. Receptacle adapters
  33. Water hose
  34. Cornhole
  35. Outdoor shower
  36. Fishing gear
  37. Gas griddle
  38. Mini fridge
  39. Lanterns + fuel
  40. Fire ring grill
  41. Dutch oven
  42. Small 120V leaf blower
  43. Bow saw
  44. Pole pruner
  45. Bungees + straps
  46. Axe + hatchet
  47. 3lb sledge hammer
  48. Stakes
  49. 10' x 10' canopy
  50. Small shovel
  51. Fire poker/claw

Baystar and carying ~ 2500lbs with full fw tank, empty black and greytanks, full gas tank. Yikes. No passengers either.

Without water I would say maybe 270 pounds in the trailer including full fridge and other junk. Probably another 120 in the SUV. (48 pounds of that is a propane generator for dry camping).

I'm a bit worried about my payload too if I'm going to try and stick with the same truck (still on the fence). But with 6 of us and only a 5 passenger truck, my wife will drive separately with as much weight as I can shove in the trunk of her car and bodies in the seats, I suspect most of this will be food & clothes. I've put together a list of stuff that I think would be the max the TT would need to have in it, covering all worst case scenerios. My truck GVWR is 5815lb and I weighed the truck with a full tank of gas + misc crap in the cab and myself at 4960lb, this was after cleaning out ~200lb of crap that rides in the bed almost in perpetuity. Looking at a number of different TT in the 4000-4500lb empty weight range leaves me a little margin up to my 6100lb tow rating. I don't intend on or need to carry water or leave anything in the grey or black tanks when traveling so the empty weight should be close but then there's everything that will live within the TT when it's "empty." I've put together a list excluding weights but I wanted to see if anyone could weigh in on whether or not this is relistic list based on experience? Anyway here is it, tell me what you think.
  1. 2x electric heater
  2. Heavier than factory mattresses
  3. Bedding
  4. Pillows
  5. Popcorn popper
  6. Waffle iron
  7. Blender
  8. Pots
  9. Pans
  10. Utensils
  11. Plates
  12. Napkins
  13. PT
  14. TP
  15. Soap
  16. Wash tubs
  17. Towels & washcloths
  18. First Aid kit
  19. DVDs + player
  20. Broom & dustpan
  21. Mop
  22. Vacuum
  23. Board games
  24. Playing cards
  25. 6x camping chairs + table
  26. Outdoor Rug
  27. Folding picnic table
  28. Camp hammocks
  29. 2x TV tray
  30. Stabilizer/tongue blocking
  31. Cords
  32. Receptacle adapters
  33. Water hose
  34. Cornhole
  35. Outdoor shower
  36. Fishing gear
  37. Gas griddle
  38. Mini fridge
  39. Lanterns + fuel
  40. Fire ring grill
  41. Dutch oven
  42. Small 120V leaf blower
  43. Bow saw
  44. Pole pruner
  45. Bungees + straps
  46. Axe + hatchet
  47. 3lb sledge hammer
  48. Stakes
  49. 10' x 10' canopy
  50. Small shovel
  51. Fire poker/claw
Ditch 5, 6, 7, 19, 22 and 42. Also leave the electric heaters at home in the summer.

Many of these items would not be on our personal list, but realize that each of us prioritizes different things and are in different stages of life.

We would definitely have the vacuum but wouldn’t have the fire stuff, grill, griddle, mini fridge, folding picnic table, etc

If weight is the limiting factor, maybe weigh each item to help in determining if that weight is really needed.

We packed what we needed/wanted fit each trip With full water and fuel. Ran across a CAT Scale at the beginning of each trip. Adjusted fresh water level if we were over weight. Gail is an excellent packer so she was able to gauge how much to take. Typically we were right at allowable weight with tow car/dolly.

We made a newbie mistake when ordering our Canyon Star and got too many options that we really didn’t need or use. The extras took up valuable load capacity. When ordering the Dutch Star we did not make that same mistake though less important with a DP.

JOE,
I purposely ordered our Canyon Star, as a model "3710", because it has the heaviest allowable cargo capacity.
After 3 years, loaded with everything we carry, "DI" washer, power washer, ladders, etc, etc, & "Liquid Spring suspension; while at the "NKK International" we had the coach weighed at all 4 corners. Total weight now is 25,060, on a 26,000 GVWR chassis. Includes a half full fresh water tank! Bottom line, I am so very happy we bought this model coach, as there is only the 2 of us!
I am sure your "3911" , even with planning, was pushing the 26,000 GVWR limit. The Braun lift an requirements added substantial weight! BUT!!
The new "Dutch Star" will give you plenty of load capacity, & all the other benefits of having the "DP"!! I am sure you are excited to get it, and have many little modification plans already in the works; to make it your "special" home on wheels!!:) Good Luck!
By the way, I've gotten side tracked for the next couple of months, due to recovery from hip replacement surgery! Has slowed me down to a crawl!:cautious:

When is delivery scheduled??

Allan

JOE,
I purposely ordered our Canyon Star, as a model "3710", because it has the heaviest allowable cargo capacity.
After 3 years, loaded with everything we carry, "DI" washer, power washer, ladders, etc, etc, & "Liquid Spring suspension; while at the "NKK International" we had the coach weighed at all 4 corners. Total weight now is 25,060, on a 26,000 GVWR chassis. Includes a half full fresh water tank! Bottom line, I am so very happy we bought this model coach, as there is only the 2 of us!
I am sure your "3911" , even with planning, was pushing the 26,000 GVWR limit. The Braun lift an requirements added substantial weight! BUT!!
The new "Dutch Star" will give you plenty of load capacity, & all the other benefits of having the "DP"!! I am sure you are excited to get it, and have many little modification plans already in the works; to make it your "special" home on wheels!!:) Good Luck!
By the way, I've gotten side tracked for the next couple of months, due to recovery from hip replacement surgery! Has slowed me down to a crawl!:cautious:

When is delivery scheduled??

Allan
The Dutch Star will be a 2024, delivered in September - October, We are excited to get it. Hope your recovery goes well.

Depends on the lenght of the trip, but typically we carry between 600 - 700 lbs (that includes the weight distribution kit we have on it and about 15 -20 gallons of water in the fresh water tank). The weight adds up quickly. Most of the stuff in the trailer stays in the trailer with the exception of our clothing and food (tools, games, bedding, fishing equipment, dishes, generator, etc.). The only thing we add to it on a trip is clothing, food, and fresh water before we leave.

Latest resources

Back