Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question How often are you changing your RV water filter?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I use the Blu Tech system and they recommend changing filters every 3 to 4 months. They also recommend to remove the filters from the system and let them dry and put them in plastic bags when not using filter. They even have a filter system that has a pump that you can drop a hose into a river or lake and pump water to your RV for off grid water.
This is something I always forget to do when not using the RV for months, and then I go and the filter water is all cruddy. I need to remember to start doing that every time I get back to my RV garage.

I think the reality, for those of us that don't travel often, we are much better off with the tank/system with unfiltered city water, than unchlorinated water that can get stagnant, especially in the filter canister, where it's got contaminants that water will be in contact with.

I always put a new filter in at the start of a trip. Filters are cheap. It's amazing reading this thread and how sanitary or filtered water is not the priority of many. Sorta disgusting to me. If you can see these filters, which most of us use opaque canisters, they are disgusting after a short period of time. I don't think city water spigots at campgrounds are the same as residential water supplies.

How do you like Clearsource? They claim 4+ GPM, but with a standard size filter and a .2 micron absolute, which doesn't seem possible. The reviews on Amazon on nearly 5 star across the board.
I have no complaints. I have not had any pressure issues. I like as much filtering as possible before it gets to the coach. They even now have a heated unit for winter. I wish they had that when I bought mine.

I was on a quarterly plan, I think I'm going monthly. I put new filters in when I left July 1st and my filter last I looked (when sanitizing fresh) was already looking shady. My water is not clear in the toilet, kinda disgusting looking. Two campgrounds ago the water looked carbonated, it came out of the city water spigot fizzy, I figured it was just aerated or something, even after sitting in my fresh tank it came out of my faucets fizzy. Weird. I have since drained fresh and refilled at another location, and it's as described above, a brownish non clear. So a new filter is going in and more are being ordered and I'll be changing monthly now.

What is your water filter routine?

Oh, I'll also be double filtering and using one of those blue things at the spigot. I have a dual filter setup in the wet bay with sediment and carbon filters.

My dual filter system I use:

My filters:

The one at the spigot gets changed every 6 months unless traveling a lot like you are. Then once a month.
The one in the wet bay usually ever 6 months.
The one in the refrigerator once a year.

Now that is high tech.
I have gauges in front and behind each filter to monitor its performance.
Consider though the more clogged the filter, the finish water may be even better.
Maybe try a TDS meter. Total Dissolved Solids meters are handy when used properly. When the proper temperature water is tested the total dissolved solids should be less than 50 or 300 depending on YOUR preference. TDS meters measure electrical conductivity in the water. Warmer water transfers electricity better so temperature is important.

We have this installed prior to the water softener.

CLEARSOURCE ULTRA RV WATER FILTER... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SX5RPG6/?tag=rvf01-20

Also have a flow meter in front of the filters that tracks total water usage.

Filters are good for about 2000 gallons depending on the water quality. Swapped them at about 1500 last time and they probably could have gone longer.

Still have the house filter after that but doubt it will see much of anything coming through and will probably change that annually.

Water filter in the fridge let’s us know when it needs changed.

Latest resources

Back