• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question How to register in Montana?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I would be very careful, do your self a favor and research your home state if you are not a full timer and have your coach garaged in your home state. A lot of state DMV's have gotten wise to the Montana LLC thing and are starting to crack down.

Contact Bennett Law Office. They can help you. They will first provide you with a copy of the relevant portion of the statute of the state you are domiciled. Once you read that, you can then decide whether you want to go forward.

BTW, cities like Chicago are wise to this tax dodge and will pull you over to see if your license a Montana, if not why not, etc. if not, expect a ticket or worse.

States don't like missing out on the sales tax, registrations and title fees. We have done a couple finance deals when the seller has the MT LLC. One was completed and one fell through. The state of the new buyer has had questions about why the paperwork does not match up with the seller info. Just my opinion but if you need an attorney to help with a purchase, there is something wrong.
Let us know how we can help.
Ken

Been leaving this alone but!

I agree with much of what Is printed above!
I am not fond of LLCs. I get why some go that route, but they do create hoops on the other side of the journey.

I know how the forest service views those talking advantage of the loop hole, because I volunteered and in talking to the supervisor I was told.

It's simple! I love my state (az) !! I don't love the tax structure, but at the end of the day, I keep everything above board! It's just simpler that way. I don't really have a domicile and use an address In Yuma. I could use any state to register my stuff, but alas, Arizona gets most of my business, so the state gets my money as well.

Beside the ethical tax issues, if you have ever had to deal with State Sales Tax authorities, which I have as a Professional Accountant (earlier career), and a business owner, these folks are very sensitive to being denied the state's piece of your transactions.
It gets ugly, and expensive very quickly if you get on the wrong side of them.
Early in my auditor/accounting career I had the opportunity to attempt restore "in good standing" to a few NYC wantabe 'wiseguy' sales tax problems.
It is unpleasant, very time intensive and expensive.

salestax.png

if you need an attorney to help with a purchase, there is something wrong.
This is simply incorrect and bad information. If you are a fulltimer, you can absolutely utilize a MT LLC as long as you understand the statues in the state you are domiciled in. For instance, if you are domiciled in Florida, you will have to wait 6 months before you can enter the state with your rig that is registered in MT. You may even at that time want to reregister your rig in your domiciled state. Using an attorney is to insure that the LLC is formed correctly just as if you were to use an attorney in any transaction. It does not mean "something is wrong."

There is a huge difference between tax avoidance and tax evasion. If, however, you are domiciled in a state for which you own property and reside, then YES, you are taking a risk. States like Colorado and others look for Montana tags and it may take 2 years, but they will collect their sales tax, penalties and more from you.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back