Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Slowing drain in 2021 Dutch Star. How to fix?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

dmp1991

RVF Regular
Recently noticed that the master shower in my 2021 Dutch Star 4362 has slow water drainage. I know that there is a waterless drain and I can't just stick something down the drain to break up hair/gunk that might be clogging up the drain. However, I'm not at all sure what I can do.

Not even sure there is a hair clog there. But I can't seem to lift up the silver drain cover to look closer. And can't see much looking through the cover either.

Searching online for what to do is fairly ineffective since everything I try assumes your shower has a P trap. Even though my search terms clearly include "waterless".

Anyone have any idea of maintenance for these things?

What we have done in the past is pour some baking soda in the drain and the add vinegar. Might have to do it more than once. Be sure to turn on the exhaust fan and don't breath the fumes.
Then use one of these.

Been trouble free since. The shroom catches a lot of hair.

Yup…the baking soda trick works. Hot water can also help.

I also have used a traditional plunger and just “pushed” the gunk down.

I notice a slow drain at the time the shower needs to be cleaned. I use spray comet to clean my shower and ironically after cleanings it drains great again. My guess is you have some soap scum buildup in the drain and a good cleaner hopefully can resolve it. As I mentioned somewhere before I think solid soaps return to solid after drying and I'd avoid them. I instead use body wash (liquid soap) in the coach, well, I use it at home now too.

per @Richpatty I also have a small plunger on board I learned about at a RV rally seminar. I think though the cleaning product is all that's needed. I hesitate with the plunger as some of these drains have duckbills that could invert.

Amazon product ASIN B005BIGCRG

Thanks all.

Didn't want to try the plunger because didn't want to risk inverting any sealing duck bill flaps.

But we did try some "Green Gobbler" cleaner that says it liquefies organic matter like hair, wax, solidified fats, etc. It looks like this mostly works when there is moisture on the material in question. We solved that by applying it between two showers about 15 mins apart. Multiple applications appears to have cleaned this situation up - it seems to be draining regularly now. But even one application appeared to help a bit. By application, I mean we poured just a few ounces directly in the drain after finishing shower one, waited 15 minutes, then flushed it by taking a second shower.

As an aside, using this product didn't require any special ventilation. Maybe next time we'll try the baking soda & vinegar idea? Oh, the wife just ordered some of those disposable hair catcher drain toppers. Maybe this won't happen again?

DW ordered a flat stainless steel screen that works well in catching hair and quite surprised with how much is caught after each shower. We also use liquid bath soaps that's made w/o binders like bar soap to keep soap deposits to a minimum.

One question never answered was the drain cover removal, is this screw on or held in place with silicone?

This is all great info, making mental notes as this isn’t some thing we have come across yet

This is all great info, making mental notes as this isn’t some thing we have come across yet
Do mental notes still work😀. I have to write it down and then remember where I wrote them😢

Latest resources

Back