• Commercial/Vendors welcome

How to use the pump at the Truck Stop

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Thank you for the info. You say it still shuts off but not at 100. The constant shutting off is so annoying. When does it shut off for you?
It shuts off when full, just like when fueling an automobile.

Thank you for the info. You say it still shuts off but not at 100. The constant shutting off is so annoying. When does it shut off for you?
Does not shutoff for me until full. Sorry for the confusion. I find you have to be careful when filling to full as I generally get some overflow out the fill nozzle with the high flow rates. With trucks running beside me it's too noisy to hear when the tank is almost full.

Diesel pump handles have 3 notches for the trigger. Full flow, Medium and slow. At full flow it goes fast, but makes lots of foam, that will trigger the handle too soon and overflow. I know more or less how much room Is in the tank, so I go at full flow 80-90% and than go to the middle notch for the rest.
If no one is waiting, I finish on Slow which really gives me full tank without the fuel shooting out and making a mess.

Diesel pump handles have 3 notches for the trigger. Full flow, Medium and slow. At full flow it goes fast, but makes lots of foam, that will trigger the handle too soon and overflow. I know more or less how much room Is in the tank, so I go at full flow 80-90% and than go to the middle notch for the rest.
If no one is waiting, I finish on Slow which really gives me full tank without the fuel shooting out and making a mess.
Thanks Bully. Will try that. I also want to create something ie plastic disposable trash bag with hole, to pop around gas tank opening so overflow will not get on paint. The video watched had someone putting the TDS card in, going through the prompts putting the handle down and going around to passenger side to fill the tank from a satellite tank. Are you familiar with that procedure?

Yes I am using mostly TA stations for the best discount. But without the pump display infront of me, I can not remember the sequence and all the prompts.
Basically all you need your card and your “control number” .
here is how:Using EFS card

Thanks Bully. Will try that. I also want to create something ie plastic disposable trash bag with hole, to pop around gas tank opening so overflow will not get on paint. The video watched had someone putting the TDS card in, going through the prompts putting the handle down and going around to passenger side to fill the tank from a satellite tank. Are you familiar with that procedure?

After starting the driver’s side pump, I go the passenger side. The pump has no display or buttons/prompts, you just put the nozzle in the tank (and lift the handle if appropriate). The fuel from this passenger side is included in the drivers side pump display/total.
After I finish the passenger side I then return that nozzle to the pump and then walk back over to the drivers side to top off.

After starting the driver’s side pump, I go the passenger side. The pump has no display or buttons/prompts, you just put the nozzle in the tank (and lift the handle if appropriate). The fuel from this passenger side is included in the drivers side pump display/total.
After I finish the passenger side I then return that nozzle to the pump and then walk back over to the drivers side to top off.
Does your coach have saddle tanks? Mine has 1 large tank, and if I tried that I would end up with a big mess.

Neil's explanation was pretty complete, except the "swipe your credit card" part. Unless you are using a TSD or other commercial fleet card some truck stops don't take just any credit card and you have to go inside to even start the pump.

Since I use the TSD card I never have to go inside and stand in line to get a paper receipt. I use the receipt that TSD puts on my app. I also take a pic of the pump when I'm done fueling.

As far as pumping DEF in a Newmar DP. I have up right away due to not wanting to tie up the pump moving my rig. I started using a DEF container which I would fill and then put away in my storage bay until getting to the campground.

As far as figuring out how to exit the pumps and get back on the road. Sometimes you can watch other commercial traffic to see which way they are going but use caution. Many of these drivers, especially around lunch time, might be heading to parking spots and staying for a meal or shower. While waiting for my tank to fill I usually just bring up the satellite mapping view on my Iphone to confirm which way to get back through the lot and onto the highway.
Great point on the exit! When we plan a fuel stop, we use the Open Roads app to locate preferred stop. I then assign (ask nicely) the Naviguesser to look at the stop in Google Maps and determine goes ins and goes outs. I also try to watch traffic and see which way it flows. Many times the trucks fuel up and head to parking area.

Does your coach have saddle tanks? Mine has 1 large tank, and if I tried that I would end up with a big mess.

hahaha, yes, having the saddle tank does make it a little bit cleaner to use the 2nd pump.

Latest resources

Back