• Commercial/Vendors welcome

I did something....

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I may or may not have added a DJI Avata to my collection of drones (and debt). I've hardly flown my DJI FPV but couldn't resist the Avata with its compact size, propeller guards, better video (with no props in view) and well, because I wanted to! I like that I can strap my GoPro Hero 10 on the back of the DJI FPV drone, the Avata doesn't need it. And as it's super light it's great for me to carry in my plane where weight matters.
Nice!

I like the motion controller, but I'm finding I can fly much faster and have a lot more control when using the standard controller. That being said, I plan to master flight with both of them as they both seem to have their place.

I don't know if you noticed or not, and I assume your Avata works the same way my FPV does, but watch the camera when you are using the motion controller. When you aim the controller up or down, the camera follows the motion controller. The standard controller doesn't do that. Pretty neat.

Also, landing seems easier with the standard controller as I have more control over the up/down function of the drone.

But congratulations Neal. I'm turning a bit green and really wish I had held off until the Avata came out. But I didn't realize it was coming or I would have. Really like the protection around the props, as I speak from past performance that they are easy to break. :)

Oh, one other thing about the motion controller, and you may/may not have noticed this. But use the brake when you decide to stop the drone in mid flight and do something else. I stopped the drone and then lifted my goggles to get my bearings (light headed, lol) and the motion controller continued to fly the drone in the directions my hand was moving. Armature move for sure. But was really a wake up for me when I looked up to see my drone going everywhere except where I thought it was.

Last edited:
I have the motion controller paired and remaining with the Avata. The FPV is something I want to advance to manual mode with. I don't think you (or I) have unleashed that experience yet and that's where the normal remote controller will come into play. The camera also behaves differently in manual mode, you have to tilt it where you want it and it remains there as in manual mode the angle of the drone can be very different.

The Avata is a blend between videography and fun with less worry due to the prop guards and less speed. I don't know what manual mode will be like. I think I was in normal mode today and not even in sport.

So again, the FPV is a very different beast in speed and maneuverability, I haven't had the opportunity to fly it in my travels due to locations or rules. I also look forward to the GoPro footage I'll get from it. Both will be fun to play with. Again, the smaller/lighter Avata will be better for my plane to land somewhere and get some drone footage.

As to the head tracking, I wasn't aware the FPV had that, the Avata has it "with its newer goggles" which I don't have as I'm pairing the FPV goggles to it. I'll have to check into this feature to see if in fact it is there.

I don't think you (or I) have unleashed that experience yet and that's where the normal remote controller will come into play.
No, have not used manual mode yet. But I'm never in Normal mode anymore either. Sport is where it's at, for now at least. :)

I think the real FPV'ers will prefer the DJI FPV drone due to its speed and full control to dive, flip, loop, whatever. Can't do that with the Avata that I know of. I need much more practice with both but it's fun. Hopefully something I'll use more than my Mavic 2 Pro.

Attachments

• 55B696EE-15EB-4BBA-900D-AA519E59D776.jpeg
    55B696EE-15EB-4BBA-900D-AA519E59D776.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 2
alligator attacking GIF

Latest resources

Back