Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Installing Battery cut off switch for coach batteries.

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

mansracing

RVF Regular
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Essex 4531
RV Length
Chassis
Spartan
Engine
X15
TOW/TOAD
Stacker Trailer
Fulltimer
No
2018 Essex,Is there any good reason not to install a battery cut off switch For coach batteries?Looking at two 500 amp switches to use.I know Newmar doesn’t recommend it but couldn’t give me a good reason.Newmar says the shut down switch in the coach shuts off about 85% of the draw.Batteries will still be dead in 3-4 days.

we just installed a battery cut off switch in our 2014 Ventana - I'm curious to hear why Newmar doesn't recommend it. it could be they think it doesn't save enough battery to be worthwhile.

I installed one in mine, I think all should have it. If you have an Inverter fire for example, you need a way to kill the source (electricity). I used a 300A cutoff switch, can't find where I got it from.

I installed one in mine, I think all should have it. If you have an Inverter fire for example, you need a way to kill the source (electricity). I used a 300A cutoff switch, can't find where I got it from.
Wow, wouldn't have thought of that.

9B372709-92F3-4E49-AA64-561F3A7B8570.jpegI have a cutoff switch for the batteries and inverter. It gives me the ability to disconnect things in a hurry. That being said, I don’t cut them off much as too many things lose their settings. But I have the luxury of having my rig home and plugged in.

I plan on (maybe) adding another one to cutoff the alternator (Li-bim) to protect it from the lithium’s ( not even sure it is an issue or not, but that is another thread).

See my two switches on the far right side.

I like to easily isolate various power sources. First for safety, and also for diagnosis issues should they arise. Each battery has a shut off as does the Inverter and Solar panel circuits. Not sure how much resistance each of these create but we never had any shortage of power.
IMG_6383.jpgIMG_6384.jpg

Latest resources

Back