Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Interesting article on company developing an electric class 3 truck and motorhome chassis.

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
While I see some merit to EV's today, I don't think they are as environmentally friendly as the advertiser's tout. Reasons:
Principal sources of US electricity in 2019 were: natural gas (38%), coal (23%), nuclear (20%), other renewables (11%), and hydro (7%). Over the decade 2004–2014, the largest increases in electrical generation came from natural gas (2014 generation was 412 TWh greater than 2004), wind (an increase of 168 TWh), and solar (increased 18 TWh). Over the same decade, annual generation from coal decreased 393 TWh, and from petroleum decreased 90 TWh.

These sources of electricity are where we find the energy required to charge electric vehicles. And the chargers and chemical process in the batteries is far from 100% efficient. Designs and methods will improve, but I am sure I do not want to be the new kid on the block with an EV. I'll let "others" drop the big bucks and be the first to find out.

Agreed we need to move away from fossil fuels but at present natural gas is at 38% and coal at 23% to make up 61% of the electric generation demands for the US.

While I see some merit to EV's today, I don't think they are as environmentally friendly as the advertiser's tout. Reasons:
Principal sources of US electricity in 2019 were: natural gas (38%), coal (23%), nuclear (20%), other renewables (11%), and hydro (7%). Over the decade 2004–2014, the largest increases in electrical generation came from natural gas (2014 generation was 412 TWh greater than 2004), wind (an increase of 168 TWh), and solar (increased 18 TWh). Over the same decade, annual generation from coal decreased 393 TWh, and from petroleum decreased 90 TWh.

These sources of electricity are where we find the energy required to charge electric vehicles. And the chargers and chemical process in the batteries is far from 100% efficient. Designs and methods will improve, but I am sure I do not want to be the new kid on the block with an EV. I'll let "others" drop the big bucks and be the first to find out.

Agreed we need to move away from fossil fuels but at present natural gas is at 38% and coal at 23% to make up 61% of the electric generation demands for the US.
Yah. All valid points and most of them I know nothing about because I’m not american. In BC all the power produced is hydro although at different times of day (early morning) we buy cheap power from other places where coal or natural gas is used. Still the vast majority of power consumed here is hydro. I believe Canada still has 7 percent of its power coming from coal all scheduled to be shut down over the next decade. There are some seriously large hydro projects coming on line in that time period as well although most of that is for export to the US.

EV’s are not a panacea. They work for some and others not. Way fun to drive though.

This morning, while I was out putting wood in the dragon, I was thinking about all those people who recently were stuck on the freezing highway in Virginia. The whole affair was bad, but what would it have been like if all those vehicles had been electric cars instead?

I watched that video. It was informative. But I’m not sure why he selected “Keep” mode instead of “camp mode”. Camp mode essentially shuts the car part of the car down and just keeps HVAC and entertainment systym active. It uses about a third less power this way. The only reason I can think of that he used “keep” was maybe to simulate having to roll a bit every few minutes in like a traffic jam situation. But if you are actually stranded and stopped it would be much better to use “camp” mode. Any dry run tests we did overnight we used “camp” mode.

All just my humble opinion. Not an expert.

Latest resources

Back