• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Inverter low battery

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
All breakers are in my 1/2 bath. I checked that last night and they were all on.

No it’s a 120 outlet. I change the magnum remote to 15 amps and I have been storing this way for 3 years. All of the sudden it’s not working.

My understanding is when connecting to a 15A supply you need to make TWO changes:
  1. On the EMS you need to press the down arrow button to change the incoming amps to 15. I think it auto switches between 50 and 30 but when you go lower you have to manually set it
  2. The inverter (magnum RC50) control display needs the charge setup adjusted
There may be issues if connected to a GFCI, not sure. I had a problem when I first tried this but it may have been an insufficient gauge extension cord. I did connect to 15A when in for cummins service for a week (head gasket replacement) and made the two changes above and it kept the batteries at 100% without an issue.

Just now I checked circuit breakers again. I also unplugged shore power and the monitor still shows the wiring status error. So it has to be in the coach somewhere.

Have you tried disconnecting from shore power and running the generator to see if the error message persists? Or, plugging into a different circuit? It is still possible that something in the15/20A circuit you are currently plugged into has gone bad.

TJ

I did try a different outlet. Both are showing 119 on the meter. Sadly I am not electrical so I hesitate to do anything radical. I am going to back it out and run the gen. Yesterday I ran the gen and it seemed to be okay.

A "different outlet" on the same circuit will give the same result if the circuit itself is bad. Is there another outlet on a different circuit somewhere that you could try? Or, do you have access to the breaker panel for the circuit your current outlet is on? If so, try recycling the breaker 3-4 times to see if anything changes.

You may have an issue with the coach, but I'm still strongly suspecting that the problem is in the circuit feeding your outlet. If you are in a commercial storage facility, I would contact the management and have them send their electrician out to check.

TJ

One more thought; have you checked the breakers on the inverter itself? We had an issue a while back where one of the inverter breakers opened and it caused all kinds of issues, including low battery warnings. On our coach, the inverter has two button-style breakers on the back side. Our inverter is mounted between the frame rails above the pass-through storage bay. Not sure if the placement is the same on the 2017 Ventana. @Neal might have that information.

Might be worth a look.

TJ

I fired up gen and it says wiring status ok.

when I shut the gen down. The wiring status goes to error.
797C46F4-C65A-4D42-9C92-AA2EABD352E4.jpeg

71583C9C-911B-4F6D-857C-729608D5AF3E.jpeg

I crawled into drawer slide bay and looked at the inverter. I didn’t see any breakers or even a reset button.

Guys...this is the load assist.

When it detects 24amps plus on the subpanel going thru the inverter, it will use a boost from the inverter, allowing more amps to come from ac. This is very useful in 30amp connections, but sucks when on 50amp. This feature will drain your batteries easily, and cause it to go into the mode you see here. While it says low battery, load assist is disabled.

It also reduces the charge rate.

I have found scenarios where this works against you in 50amp. My solution is to turn off the inverter when on 50 amp if I am going to be using the oven, and other iverter enabled outlet loads heavily.

Usually happens in the morning while wife is using curling iron, hair dryer, and oven is preheating.

Latest resources

Back