Bearcat

RVF Regular
RV Year
RV Make
Bushwacker
RV Length
Fulltimer
No
My frig was dark and when checking the inverter i was not getting power to the frig. I plugged the frig into an outlet inside and the frig was working the inverter light was green so I'm guessing the inverter is going haywire and I may have to buy another one. When we got home I plugged into garage and frig was not working, I'm thinking maybe it needs 30 amp to run? I'm new to all of this and feel a bit overwhelmed already. Thanks

Check for a circuit breaker tripped?

Ok i did some investigating and made some progress, the frig will work when plugged into a plug in the trailer it didn't before because I needed to reset the button on the plug. I am still working on the inverter not sending power to the frig when plugged into the inverter. When using battery power the frig should work when plugged into the inverter correct?

Last edited:
How many amps at what AC or DC voltage does your refrigerator need? Can the inverter support the delivery of that much power to the refrigerator? Can your batteries support the delivery of that much power to your inverter to then support your refrigerator? How large and how old are your batteries? If you got any documentation for your RV, you might find the answers to these questions there.

There may also be a data plate somewhere on the refrigerator.

Rick

ok I had a friend come over and explain things to me. When dry camping the inverter is only going to power my lights no frig, microwave or air conditioner so I think i have it all sorted out. Thank you.

ok 1 last issue is when connected to shore power my frig plugged into the converter will not work but plugged into an outlet inside the trailer it will run so I think my converter is not transferring the power to the frig when plugged into it. The converter is lit green but will not power up anything not even a lightbulb. So I thinkj i need a new inverter right?

ok 1 last issue is when connected to shore power my frig plugged into the converter will not work but plugged into an outlet inside the trailer it will run so I think my converter is not transferring the power to the frig when plugged into it. The converter is lit green but will not power up anything not even a lightbulb. So I thinkj i need a new inverter right?
Converter? Inverter? Very confused!!!

Think you may mean plugged into the inverter,but???

If you mean inverter then here is something to consider.

The power supplied to an inverter (in amps) is ten times the output amps. If your fridge draws 6 amps at 115, the inverter would require 60 amps at 12 volts. A 60 amps converter could easily be under powered in this example!

What Kevin is driving at is: volts x amps = watts. The power equation. You will need to become familiar with the data plates on your appliances to check for whatever amount they list for power consumption or power production. Volts? Amps? Or watts? An then constrain your expectations for what you can do when dry camping. People typically think they can do more with batteries, solar panels and inverters than is technically possible.

Fear not. We all had to come to this realization when we got into this lifestyle. My wife still often needs a gentle reminder and I steer my solar panels directly into the sun 4-5 times a day.

Rick

When home and plugged into 110 with my frig plugged into the inverter ( sorry that is what I meant) it no longer works when I first bought the trailer it would run the frig when using shore power. So I'm thinking the inverter is dying and I may need a new one

My frig was dark and when checking the inverter i was not getting power to the frig. I plugged the frig into an outlet inside and the frig was working the inverter light was green so I'm guessing the inverter is going haywire and I may have to buy another one. When we got home I plugged into garage and frig was not working, I'm thinking maybe it needs 30 amp to run? I'm new to all of this and feel a bit overwhelmed already. Thanks
What type of fridge do you have? Is it a residential or duel (electric and propane) if it's a duel you will need to turn the propane on and put the control switch on auto.

Latest resources

Back