Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Erica emailed me back this morning:

Good Morning Neal,

We will need to replace the furniture. It will be replaced with the same material. It likely was a bad batch when made.

I’m not sure if you have heard but Flexsteel – RV is no longer in business. We are working with local furniture companies to see if they can do the same work. We don’t have any information right now. We are currently telling customers to call or email in 2 months and we will update then.

I’ve got everything documented in [removed] so you can use this as a reference.

Thank you,

I am noticing a lot of so-called leather that actually seems to be sprayed on if that were possible. When it starts flaking off it is the worst thing imaginable! it happened on a set of dining room furniture in my kitchen and I‘ve been vacuuming up little flecks of “leather” for months. I’d much rather it had split and rubbed away like normal wear.
I’m dismayed to see the same behavior on your newer coaches. It seems like everybody will find a cheaper way to do things. I think the first thing I would do is put covers on all leather seats to hopefully delay the wear. When we sold our 13-year-old Winnebago, the leather was still holding up fine ....it looked like worn leather... but it wasn’t even splitting, much less flaking!. the coach had 70,000 miles on it.

I'm not rushing to get this fixed. 1) I have no reason right now to trek to Newmar. 2) I want whomever they use to do this to get the process figured out. I'm not sure if they are replacing or reupholstering. Going to sit on the sidelines until Newmar figures out what they are going to do and it proves to be a viable option. Also, the more I wait is less time between new and selling for vNext.

Mine was pretty bad, but bought the RV that way knowing we were going to fix it ourselves. Not perfect, but this was our first time and cost about $15 per seat on material.

Attachments

• 20190917_142014.jpg
    20190917_142014.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 62
Mine is 3 months old and the corner of the couch arm has started. Sent pic to Newmar. They apologized and said they would reupholster. They said to contact them in several months and they will have a resolution.

I'm not rushing to get this fixed. 1) I have no reason right now to trek to Newmar. 2) I want whomever they use to do this to get the process figured out. I'm not sure if they are replacing or reupholstering. Going to sit on the sidelines until Newmar figures out what they are going to do and it proves to be a viable option. Also, the more I wait is less time between new and selling for vNext.
Neal, Newmar has already replaced our sofa and recliner, and put new upolstery in the front seats. I do not hold out hope for it in the long run, but we do our best to protect it from sun. It makes no sense for them to just not put better stuff in to begin with. what a waste of money. We are people who take really good care of our cars, and our coach, and do not trade often. If we have more trouble with the upholstery, i doubt Newmar will help again. We will probably have it done with good stuff on our own. I even contacted Flexsteel to see if there was something we should be treating it with. They did not recommend anything? Judy D

boy oh boy...Flexsteel was one of the finest furniture manufacturers in their day. Sounds like they left the RV biz none too soon.

boy oh boy...Flexsteel was one of the finest furniture manufacturers in their day. Sounds like they left the RV biz none too soon.
Perhaps at one time, but we bought flexsteel for our home and it just hasn't held up. I would have been better off with cheap stuff and just cycled it out ever few years.

DSCN1166.JPG

When I contacted Newmar in July Erica told me to check back in two months. I checked back today as I could swing by in Nov/Dec. Erica said they do have a plan for remedy to have the furniture recovered but it requires a 12wk lead time. Due to my travel plans and other plans I'll be booking in next September for the fix. So FYI, if you have the furniture virus. you need to coordinate your visit at least 12wks out.

Thanks for the update. I can’t help but think this is my destiny as well, but so far the the seats are fine. Neal, i think our rigs were built just weeks apart as we took delivery in April 2017 and I believe yours was May....

Like I said before, maybe I just don’t have as many miles (and time with my butt in the seat) as you do.

Latest resources

Back