Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Leprechaun keeps giving us trouble, not sure if manufacture problems are happening

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Dianizon

RVF Newbee
RV Year
RV Make
Coachman
RV Model
Leprechaun
RV Length
26ds
Chassis
Ford
Engine
F 350
TOW/TOAD
CRV Honda
Fulltimer
No
Sorry, it's a long story so delete if you don't want to read our experience.
Bought the 2020 Leprechaun 26ds from a friend Oct. 2021. He bought new and circumstances changed so he had no need for it. We are familiar with traveling with it as owned a Thor 26ft previously and traveled 62,000mi. with it. Had no problems driving to FL in Oct, and returning to OH in April with a week of camping stops for sightseeing on the way home in 2022 except a leak from under middle of frame when using water pump. Previous owner told us he would pay to have it fixed as he had it back to dealer once and it wasn't fixed. We had one outlet over the futon that didn't work also. So we decided to take to local RV shop to be fixed. We told them we had the roof coated in April before coming home so don't mess with the roof. But look at the outlet under the cabinet that isn't working and find the reason for the leak. Turns out the leak was caused by an O ring in the pump hook up that was bent over double, so easy fix. (would say manufacture error). The outlet was different story. Fuse box was drizzled with a lot of green/blue TST gunk and could have caused a fire/short. So it had to be cleaned out. Guess last owner spilled it from the cabinet over the fuse box and not told us. We use orange TST, so I know it wasn't us. That was an $800.00 fix. Of course as a courtesy they go over EVERYTHING to make sure it's all in working order. They recommended the A/C get a cleaning as they said it was very dirty, so yes we got that done. ($280). Then oil change. Got it back, camped in it wkend of 16th, woke up to rain Sunday, parked in the driveway, unpacked. Wednesday, we opened RV to show the kids since they hadn't seen it yet. All was well that that time. Stormed here Wednesday night. HERE IS THE PROBLEM NOW. Was going to take it to storage, and walked into water on the cabin floor between the booth and futon up to edge that drops to the cab floor. Looked like someone poured a cup of water on floor to see it roll down, as our drive is on a slight slope. Water on booth cushion behind the passenger seat, and overcab bed was SOAKED. Checked all the sun roofs fans and all was tight. It's a total mystery how the water got in a locked RV that was dry 2 days ago. Also there is a front window in the over cab bed and below it was soaked, along with insulation, and as I said the bed. We ran it back to the RV dealer Friday and they found that front window is not seated correctly, and leaked. They need to remove it, reseat, and remove the overcab floor, insulation and replace. I can't believe RV's are made this poorly. I'm totally flummoxed!!

That doesn't explain to me how the center floor got wet. And when it poured down rain Sat. night we were camping, all was dry. We were fine until rain storm Wed. night! It's a total mystery.

Dianizon

Most RVs are poorly made, unfortunately. It’s possible your RV was parked at a different angles between the two different rain events. So water drained from the roof away from the front window the time you didn’t have a leak and toward the front window the time it leaked.

I’ve had two different RVs by two different manufacturers and indeed there’s shotty workmanship everywhere. Also, these things need continuous maintenance. There’s a lot of vibration and flex occurring when you drive and there’s quite a bit of temperature extremes when stored. Unless you have a lot of extra money, you pretty much need to learn how to fix things and do regular maintenance yourself. Otherwise the shops will be happy to do everything for you for a price (and plan on it taking weeks and them not always doing a very good job. They have plenty of customers and they’re working as fast and profitable as they can).

We purchased a used 2017 Leprechaun 311FS and from past experience I had the dealer go through it to make sure all was sealed properly, windows, door, and everything on the roof including the roof itself. They said all was good, and again from past experience with another dealer I checks myself. When I got home I took my hose and watered the coach down at every window, door and roof for about an hour all was good. Then when we took her out and had a leak under the dinette, hot water fitting were loose took me about 5 minutes to fix them once I got to the problem. Like Clavin99 said learn to fix the issues that you can, there is plenty of help out here and on video. The place I use for help and videos is the RV Repair Club (RV Repair, Maintenance & Upgrade Tips | RV Repair Club) it's membership but in my opinion well worth the cost. It has saved me the cost of membership several time over.

Btw, if you sign up for the free version of RV repair club and wait a couple of days, they’ll offer you a full year of the paid version for about $6.

Btw, if you sign up for the free version of RV repair club and wait a couple of days, they’ll offer you a full year of the paid version for about $6.
That's how I got it and saved a bundle in doing my own repairs and maintenance compared to the regular annual price

Most RVs are poorly made, unfortunately. It’s possible your RV was parked at a different angles between the two different rain events. So water drained from the roof away from the front window the time you didn’t have a leak and toward the front window the time it leaked.

I’ve had two different RVs by two different manufacturers and indeed there’s shotty workmanship everywhere. Also, these things need continuous maintenance. There’s a lot of vibration and flex occurring when you drive and there’s quite a bit of temperature extremes when stored. Unless you have a lot of extra money, you pretty much need to learn how to fix things and do regular maintenance yourself. Otherwise the shops will be happy to do everything for you for a price (and plan on it taking weeks and them not always doing a very good job. They have plenty of customers and they’re working as fast and profitable as they can).
Thanks for the info. I know they are not perfect, but it's such a bother when you get weird stuff that can't be explained. There is no reason why the water was sprinkled in the middle of the floor as there is nothing over, near or around that could have splashed it.

Dianizon

Thanks for the info. I know they are not perfect, but it's such a bother when you get weird stuff that can't be explained. There is no reason why the water was sprinkled in the middle of the floor as there is nothing over, near or around that could have splashed it.

Dianizon
We had water on our floor as it was from the water heater which is under the dinette, which also house ALL the wiring to and from the Control panel and the inverter. The fitting were loose tightened them up and no more water. You just have to look everywhere, sometimes the problem is in the most unlikely place.

I heard somewhere that all water fittings are only done hand tight at the factory and you have to tighten them from time to time.

I heard somewhere that all water fittings are only done hand tight at the factory and you have to tighten them from time to time.
After we got home I went around to all the fittings I could get to and used Teflon tape on them and retightend them with wrench. Just have to be careful not to strip them.

Water dripping from the over cab area, dropping 5 or so feet, could splash to the middle of the floor. Maybe.....

Latest resources

Back