Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
As I was taking a cold shower this morning (yeah, I didn't think I needed the burner on as it wasn't that cold - WRONG) I was thinking about how soap must re-solidify in the grey tank. Then I realized I use body wash (liquid soap) so it probably remains a liquid so then is bar soap a bad idea for RVers? Does bar soap return to solid in the grey tank? Albeit it's immersed in water so I doubt it but I guess residue could build up over time.

I'm thinking bar soap in a RV may not be that good of an idea and if you had to choose liquid soap would be preferred. When I bought my RV I installed one of these triple pumps to be mounted on the wall. Works great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002YNQX16/?tag=rvf01-20

showerpump.png

I never use bar soap in an RV. Look at the bottom of a soap dish. You would think it would not be bad with water constantly running or siting in the tank. However, in S & B, I have had to dismantle the P trap at home and fish black jelly out of the pipe where it goes into the wall. With hot water it stayed dissolved past the trap and solidified in the pipe (soap scum, body oils,etc. - yuck).

We were once told by a Culligan man (never did research to see if it was true) that bar soap will form a ‘skin’ on surfaces, which will attract grease, dirt and other substances. This then collects other stuff, and creates a cycle of buildup.

can’t recall why he told us this, but I do know that our house master bath shower drain does get nasty, and I have to clean out every now and then. I have puzzled over this since it is soapy water, you use soap to clean, and plenty of water goes down that drain. Also, I don’t think I’m overtly dirty all the time - at least not physically ?

I have had to dismantle the P trap at home and fish black jelly out of the pipe where it goes into the wall. With hot water it stayed dissolved past the trap and solidified in the pipe (soap scum, body oils,etc. - yuck).
Geeze @AbdRahim, I didn't need that image in my mind ! :)

We were once told by a Culligan man (never did research to see if it was true) that bar soap will form a ‘skin’ on surfaces, which will attract grease, dirt and other substances. This then collects other stuff, and creates a cycle of buildup.

can’t recall why he told us this, but I do know that our house master bath shower drain does get nasty, and I have to clean out every now and then. I have puzzled over this since it is soapy water, you use soap to clean, and plenty of water goes down that drain. Also, I don’t think I’m overtly dirty all the time - at least not physically ?
I know why he told you that! While in college (yes, they had colleges way back when), I worked part-time for Culligan. Good company, too.

The "soap skin" line was part of the standard pitch to sell water softeners. As I remember it, soft water was supposed to more fully dissolve the soap and prevent the skin from occurring. While there may be some truth to that, it was primarily a marketing tool.

TJ

You mean you sold snake oil?

You mean you sold snake oil?
No, Bill, I just did the regeneration of the cylinders that the delivery guys then distributed. But, I was around the office a fair bit and heard the sales guys give their pitch.

TJ

Oh you one of the worker bees?

We quit using bar soap as often as possible once you stop using it at home your bathtub and counter tops will not require as much scrubbing now after you see that you kind of have to ask yourself what’s staying on your skin. So my vote is to use liquid soap.

Thanks for the information. After looking at our soap dish we are now switching to liquid soap.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back