Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

mwagon73

RVF Regular
2021 RoadTrek Zion - my house power is non-existent, I had this same issue and took it to the dealer a few weeks back, they did whatever they did to get the batteries charged up. They told me if I don't have the batteries on in the back (I had battery disconnect off) they would drain.. which makes sense. Anyways, problem happened again.. however, I had the house power on, connected to shore power, but the Inverter turned off... from what I read if the inverter is off, the batteries will drain out again.

Is there a way to jump start these batteries myself.. dealers are so jammed they aren't taking appointments until July.

thanks!

I’m not sure I entirely understand the issue but given what I think I know, leave your rig pluged in to shore power and turn your inverter back on and do not turn off the battery disconnect. Your inverter is most likely an inverter/charger (make and model?). If not and there’s a separate charger for some reason, just make sure that its on.

There is no reason to “jump” your house batteries and you shouldn’t need to take the rig anywhere to get them charged. Your rig has a provision for charging the house batteries and it will take several hours to charge them. You are probably just running them down using 12v stuff (fridge?) by turning off the inverter/charger. So, plugged in (or generator running), inverter/charger on, batteries on should do it.

Looks like you have this unit:
  • 12/110 V, 3,000 W Sine Wave - Includes power converter with charger

I’m not sure I entirely inderstand the issue but given what I think I know, leave your rig pluged in to shore power and turn your inverter back on. Its most likely an inverter/charger. If not and there’s a separate charger for some reason, just make sure that its on. There is no reason to “jump” your house batteries and you shouldn’t need to take the rig anywhere to get them charged. Your rig has a provision for charging the house batteries and it will take several hours to charge them. You are probably just running them down using 12v stuff (fridge?) by turning off the inverter/charger.

Thank you for the response. I didn't mean "jump" in the traditional sense. I met more like a reset or something to get the batteries charging again using the engine or the rig itself. The on/off or battery disconnect does nothing, no power to the screen. I can hear it trying to do something.. a faint clicking. Bc it has this LCD panel to control everything, how do I manually make sure the inverter is on?

Thank you again for the effort on this.. I appreciate it!

In that case maybe the inverter needs a re-set. Power it off and back on? Hopefully it’s accessible and has some sort of manual controls. Have you tried running the generator to see if the batteries charge when its running? Shouldn’t make any difference - both shore and genny feed the inverter/charger, but maybe worth a try. Either way I’d say that the inverter/charger is the first place to look - make and model?

Hopefully a RoadTrek owner will have a better answer.

In that case maybe the inverter needs a re-set. Power it off and back on? Hopefully it’s accessible and has some sort of manual controls. Have you tried running the generator to see if the batteries charge when its running? Shouldn’t make any difference - both shore and genny feed the inverter/charger, but maybe worth a try. Either way I’d say that the inverter/charger is the first place to look - make and model?

Hopefully a RoadTrek owner will have a better answer.
I can't seem to locate the inverter anywhere inside the coach.. im attaching the only three devices I could locate. I have no idea what that rat's nest is all about, that is found above the cabin, the other one is the lithium batteries I am assuming, and the other in the charging unit.

Attachments

• IMG_4718.jpeg
    IMG_4718.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_4717.jpeg
    IMG_4717.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_4716.jpeg
    IMG_4716.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 39
Photo #2 is your inverter. Doesnt look very accessible but if you can get a model number off it and access a manual you can probably determine any re-set procedures or controls. I would think it would have it’s own control panel mounted remotely somewhere. Thats probably what that data cable is for.

This looks like it:

Every RV seems to be wired differently.
In the past we let our lithium batteries go low and the BMS shut them down. The inverters would not start (and would not charge the lithium batteries until they start) until the lithium battery bank was turned back on. A catch 22 situation.

To get past this, I put an automotive battery charger on the lithium battery for a few minutes, then was able to restart the lithium battery and then able to start the inverter.

Basically I was “jump starting” the inverter so it could do its charging of the house/lithium batteries.

Let us know how your situation works out.

Every RV seems to be wired differently.
In the past we let our lithium batteries go low and the BMS shut them down. The inverters would not start (and would not charge the lithium batteries until they start) until the lithium battery bank was turned back on. A catch 22 situation.

To get past this, I put an automotive battery charger on the lithium battery for a few minutes, then was able to restart the lithium battery and then able to start the inverter.

Basically I was “jump starting” the inverter so it could do its charging of the house/lithium batteries.

Let us know how your situation works out.
I can see that if the batteries have their own shut-down or the BMS is isolating them, the inverter wouldn't recognize them or be able to charge them. Odd system but it explains the situation. Hence “jumping” your house batteries. Weird. I would think this is a relatively common conundrum amongst RT owners.

So I flipped the switch on the top of the inverter. That got the panel back on and I can engage the batteries. The Inverter button on the Firefly panel won't engage.. it has a Red border around it and pressing it does nothing. I the batteries are on.. maybe they need to charge up a bit before the inverter will turn on???

So I flipped the switch on the top of the inverter. That got the panel back on and I can engage the batteries. The Inverter button on the Firefly panel won't engage.. it has a Red border around it and pressing it does nothing. I the batteries are on.. maybe they need to charge up a bit before the inverter will turn on???
Very likely because the inverter makes AC from battery power and right now there is none available. Give it some time and then check the inverter again.

Latest resources

Back