Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Looking for a nice non stick frying pan (induction cooktop compatible)

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
The Loud House Food GIF by Nickelodeon

Close, this is my dishwasher:

Dog Licking GIF by AFV Pets

Wasn't going to do it...but got some new cookware today (cyber monday) - $400 off deal. Got this set for $299 and then some more using the "Honey" Chrome browser extension that found a nice discount code for further discount.

That's a LOT of cookware!

I resisted cast iron for years and years. Tried every "non-stick" that came down the pike. These days if I'm doing anything like frying, it's on cast iron. I don't bake much but I do pies every once in a while. Cast iron for them too. Soup or chili goes in stainless regular pans (induction ready). I'm over teflon and all that. I've read reports that aluminum cookware and even teflon particles ingested over the years may contribute to alzheimers. I don't think that's entirely conclusive but I do know cast iron is the only cookware that is actually "healthy" in that it imparts ferrous particles into the food that acts as a dietary supplement.
Downsides besides being obviously heavy is that you want to use silicone pads under it to protect glass top induction stoves. Also it takes a bit of maintenance. Today's throwaway society isn't much for things that need maintenance. I've kind of gone the other way. After about giving up on finding some nice big vintage Griswold pan for a reasonable I broke down and bought a "bumpy" Lodge big pan and spent some hours smoothing the insides of it and then seasoning it to my liking. No comparison to the lighter weight of a Griswold but it cooks very nicely and cleans up with steam like a breeze. I don't think I've had to scrape it once since refinishing it.

After about giving up on finding some nice big vintage Griswold pan for a reasonable I broke down and bought a "bumpy" Lodge big pan and spent some hours smoothing the insides of it and then seasoning it to my liking.

I was once offered $125 for my old 10" Griswold skillet. I refused because it was perfectly seasoned. I bought it at a flea market back in 1979 to use for camping. Paid $3 for it. It really doesn't need to be slick and smooth inside. You just need to season it very well. Perhaps you need to stop by the Lodge Factory Store. I've only been to the one in S Pittsburg (it was "local" at the time and the only one for years). I haven't been there in a long time, but when I was last there, they had both the bumpy and the smooth turned skillets. I use little 5" cast iron skillets for frying eggs and grilled cheese sandwiches. One is a Lodge from the Cornbread Festival and it's a little bumpy. It takes a lot of frying to help smooth the bumps down but I've had it since I first moved to TN (where I don't live any more). The other is a #3 Griswold. It's smooth inside. My daughter picked up a smooth #3G Griswold for a couple of dollars at a yard sale. The person selling it didn't realize it was a Griswold because it only said 3G1 on it. The old glass Visions saucepan lids fit nicely on the little skillets so I have a couple from thrift stores. I also have one that fits my old Griswold as well. I have also found that coconut oil works as well as bacon grease for keeping a good season on my cast iron.

I stopped buying "sets" years ago for cookware. I found that I use specific pot/pans for specific uses. Certainly not all in a "set". I also like a large DEEP "copper-lined" non-stick Copper Chef or Gotham Steel skillet for one-pan meals. It takes a few years but they are heavy and cheap enough that I don't feel any pain when I decide they are scratched enough to chuck and buy a new one. And I can put them thru my little dishwasher.

Downsides besides being obviously heavy is that you want to use silicone pads under it to protect glass top induction stoves
I am with you on non stick pans. I recently purchased a Lancaster #8 Cast Iron Skillet and I can't believe how light it is. Going to break it in this week.

Latest resources

Back