Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Lunch with John Sullivan - Former VP of Newmar.

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Jim

RVF Supporter
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
London Aire 4551
RV Length
Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
Cummins / I6 Diesel Pusher 600HP / 1,950 ft-lbs
TOW/TOAD
2016 Jeep Rubicon
Fulltimer
No
Yesterday, along with the wonderful people I'm buying my new RV site from, I had the pleasure of having lunch with John Sullivan, the former Vice-President of Newmar. Over the course of our meal, John shared some fascinating insights about Newmar and its former owner, Matt Miller—details that were previously unknown to me.

To my surprise, I learned Matt Miller is Amish. In hindsight, the signs were there—considering Newmar's roots in a small Amish town in Indiana and the Amish craftsmanship evident in their coaches. Yet, until yesterday, I had remained oblivious.

I was also unaware that Newmar had been a participant in the "Made In America Product Showcase," representing Indiana at the White House. Imagine the sight of a 2019 London Aire, practically gleaming on the steps of the White House, drawing admiration from then-President Trump himself—a testament to Newmar's craftsmanship.

I’m sure some of you recall the harsh recession of the 80s, a time that tested the resilience of American companies. Amidst this, Newmar faced its own battle for survival. Matt Miller, who owned extensive farmland and farming equipment, sold much of his assets to keep the struggling company and its workers afloat.

It may seem silly, but I look at my coach differently now than I did before my chicken sandwich! And this is just my personal observation, but I don't think we will ever again see the quality of coaches from the new Newmar that we saw back in the Matt Miller days.

7FCA5EDB-2AB7-4FFE-9ABE-58B88723C106.JPG

IMG_2499.JPG
IMG_2497.JPG

IMG_2508.JPG

A Miller era Newmar is one to be proud of.

The Miller's "Amish spirit" is still present in many of the "old timers" at Nappanee Service Center. One of the reasons we purchased a Newmar, use the CPU to take possession of unit and get service every year there.
These folks care about their work and their customers experience. They are very knowledgeable.

Latest resources

Back